Friday, March 04, 2011

Rising Iraq

For over couple of weeks I felt jealousy and had a kind of enviness in my heart. Seeing Tunis trying to change reality and the deposition of their president made me dream. Watching news about Egypt and how the people believed in themselves and their faith that they can obtain their demand gave me faith.

My jealousy and envy, my dreams and faith were all clashing within me, raising the question "why?". Jealousy ruled my head for seeing people revolting against corrupted government. Envious fed my thought, wanting what we couldn't get. By that I mean honor. I dreamed of revolting Iraq to get rid of the occupation, to get rid of the corrupted government. The result of Tunis and Egypt made me have faith in the people again.

When I received forwarded emails written by Youth of February 25th, Iraqi writers and intellectuals, and Shalash the Iraqi's articles, alone with many messages, groups and links circulated via different social networks. All these letters encouraging the Iraqi people to rise and stand for their rights. All these letters set a list of demands. They all confirmed that they do not belong to a certain political party a group, or a region  and that they are all united by being Iraqis.

With unspoken anticipation I waited for Friday 25th.

The previous night I kept dreaming, thinking and praying for the best. I never imagined the government would do a single thing to harm the protesters. The worst scenario in my head was that the government would play the role of the democratic pro-people state and that they would support them but at the same time they would assign certain militias or gangster to harm the protesters or implement explosions here and there.

The Maliki did announce that it's not safe for protesters to go out in the streets since there will be "intruders" who would sabotage or harm the protesters.

But to my surprise, Friday came. the Army and security forces were hitting the protesters, using tear gas, in addition to live bullets, while helicopters flying low above people's head!

Is that all the democracy we have?!

I'm still full of hope that there will be more demonstration tomorrow and I'll pray for a better Iraq, a safer Iraq, and most definitely a peaceful Iraq.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Wayne said...

Oh Dear Attawie,

Like you I worry so much about all the innocent people. I have been visiting several blogspots for several years and appreciate most of them very much. While there are some bad people the ones I have read are wonderful people and I admire them.

Thank you very much for keeping us informed. I check your blog spot every day but try not to write too often.

3/06/2011 5:56 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Dear Wayne,

I wish there's a source of news in English. Even Arab news channels are not covering what's going on in Iraq. I wish I can translate the news from al Baghdadia channel.

If you're interested, try translating with google translate to know more

here's the link
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://albaghdadia.com/

you can also check the videos on their channel on youtube. The icon is on the left side of their page.

3/06/2011 1:25 PM  
Blogger David said...

I see your blog is very much alive Attawie! :D

I will hope along with you for a better, safer, and peaceful Iraq.

Iraqi people deserve a government that will work for them. Iraq has many very well educated people who are capable of planning and building infrastructure to serve the people's needs. Iraq's government should be acting to get the right people working on the things that need to be done. If this is not happening, then the officials of the government and the politicians are either incompetent, corrupt, or maybe both, and need to be replaced.

3/09/2011 10:23 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

You are right David,
The officials in power are either incompetent and/or corrupt.

Since they are the one who back up the occupation then I thinking nothing good can come from them. Once Iraq is free I believe many people would consider working in the government and that would give the people a variety of candidates.

I hate the way of election now, based on religious or parties and lists of people we know nothing about!

3/09/2011 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home