Friday, June 05, 2009

Bu Qtair Cafeteria

"There's a child inside of all of us" is a phrase that expressed the childish behavior all of us do every now and then but when it comes to my little sister, it's a whole different story. The other day her colleague asked her what does she want for her birthday and my sister innocently said "an airplane". My sister became 24 years old a couple of weeks back.

She came home with gifts and flowers from her colleagues but she was mostly excited about The Airplane! Actually both of us were. But after a couple of hours I got bored and its sound became annoying and forgot about it.

My sister keeps recharging the batteries and keeps annoying me with its sound. I shouldn't have given her the rechargeable ones.

Anyways… to celebrate her birthday, I made some sweets and bought a cake. Then she only wanted us to spend the rest of the evening at Bu Qtair, a seafood restaurant. I don't know what words to use to describe the place and if the word restaurant is applied to such places. This is our second visit but since the place was dark it was hard to get a good photo. Everything was blurred. So let me try to describe.

First of all, we heard about the place from mom's colleague who been there and said it's The place where you taste the Best Fish Ever. She heard of it from an article in one of Dubai's Luxury Magazines and shared the article with mom.

We drove for two hours to get there, only to be disappointed about the bad lighting, seating and the horrible smell of the neighborhood, since it is in Jumaira Beach area. If you happen to walk in Main Street of Jumaira, you'd feel like walking in Cannes Street; it's the best neighborhood in Dubai people dream of living there. But back to where we dined; It was literally a cabin that was located in a Kharaba (abandoned land with remains of a building and usually a lot of garbage here and there). On the same piece of land there were handmade small boats and fishing nets. The only light of that kharaba are the avenue lamps.

The plastic tables and chairs are scattered on the sand of the kharaba. Some people are sitting at tables and others are waiting to be seated. Some are waiting in their cars and others are standing and waiting for their takeaway meals. With this inconvenient setting, it is not easy to get a table. There are no reservations, mind you.

In our first visit we were accompanied by my brother-in-law. After the two-hours-drive, expressions of disappointment were visible on my sister's face as well as mine. He whispered to us "just pretend it's alright and let's wait and see. If you didn't like the food I'll take you to another restaurant". Mom and dad went inside the cabin to order. After about half an hour, a man came out of the cabin and called my Dad's name and took the plates to a different table. We were in a shock! Why he's ignoring us if even if we're saying we're here!

The man disappeared and came after a while. He called a different name but came to our table and to place our order. That was hilarious. In our second visit, we saw a family who looked shocked just like us in our previous visit when his name was called and the food went to a different table.

The plates are plastic but the second time they were disposable. They serve you salad that's made of white cabbage, onion and lime slices. In addition to that, they serve you a spicy red sauce that I have did not even dare to taste. The shrimps made fire comes out of my ears but the taste was too delicious to stop eating.

But the fish! The look was not encouraging but the smell… Oh. My. God. Never tasted such a thing before and I don't think there's a place that cook such delicious fish and now I'm sure if the kharaba was even darker and the smell of the shore way much more horrible, people would still come to taste Bu Qtair's seafood.


Bu Qtair :)


Bu Qtair kitchen inside the cabin


fish


the spicy sauce

That all for now...
Happy belated birthday sis

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger moonlight said...

Hhhhhh, that's so funny she's still a kid at heart huh :). Playing with toys is fun, who said they're just for kids. She should keep recharging those batteries and playing to her hearts contet, I know how much fun it can be to annoy your older sister :P.

Wow, at first as you began describing the 5araba I thought the fish was going to turn out tasting bad but it sounds delicous. Do you know what kind of fish it was?

Oh and 3id meelad sa3eed li u5thich :)

6/06/2009 3:35 AM  
Blogger David said...

It is interesting that your sister is excited about airplanes. I have always liked airplanes too. :) When I was about 7 years old, I had a fun toy airplane that was a model of Air Force One, the President's plane. It had lights that would turn on and landing gear that would go up and down. I flew my plane all around the back yard of our house. :D So, would your sister like to train to become an airline pilot?

The Bu Qitter restaurant sounds like what we would call a "hole in the wall". That basically means a very small and unassuming place that turns out to be very surprising and pleasant. The fish in the picture looks really delicious! :)

I like spicy food sometimes, but restaurant spicy food is usually very salty, so I don't eat that very often. I never had spicy shrimp, it sounds good! However, I have eaten something similar. There is an ethnic group that lives in the swamps of southern Louisiana. They are called Cajuns. They are an interesting mix of people with ancestry that includes French, Native American, and African. Their food is well known for its hot spices. They make a dish called jambalaya. I have eaten it a few times. It includes crayfish (known as crawdad to Cajuns) which are tiny freshwater lobsters. It also has a mix of vegetables like potato, rice, and corn. It is all stewed together in a big pot with lots of spicy seasonings. To eat a crawdad, you break off the tail and eat the meat inside. If the crawdad is really big, you might get some meat out of its claws. Real Cajuns will suck the juices out the the crawdad's head! I never tried that! ;)

I'm glad you had a delicious dinner and Happy Birthday to your sister! :)

6/06/2009 9:34 PM  
Blogger زهرة الراوي said...

أكو شغلة بس ما افتهمتها .. هوه هذا من يصيح اسم ويودي لغير ناس.. شنو ديفيّك؟؟
ههههههههههههههههه أهم شي الصدمة انتهت على خير وطلع السمك طيب ..

بس ترة عمرج خسارة الصلصة مالتهم لذيذة مو بس حراكة بيها طعم طيب .. ظوكيها المرة الجاية :)

كل عام وأختج بخير .. غير فرحانة بالطيارة ^_^

تحياتي لكما

6/07/2009 6:23 PM  
Blogger Sana said...

thank you sis, moonlight, David and Zahra
i wish i have my airplane with me :(

I had fun that day, coz i had 2 birthday parties.. one with my colleagues and the 2nd was with my family :D
it was very spicy fish :( but testy
sis, i bet u miss me playing :P

take care

6/09/2009 12:18 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Moonlight,
At times I used to bug my eldest sister too and I do know how does it feel :D

The kind of fish was sha3ri. I think it's called sherry in English.

David,
I don't know whether she likes the airplane because she wants to be a pilot or just to annoy me :D but I'm sure i would like to fly an airplane if it's not for my motion sickness :(

زهرة
هو مو يفييك.. طلع يتأكد من مكان الميز لان المقبلات و الخبز و العصاير و هالاضافات الواحد يطلبها من غير مكان و حسابها غير شكل.. اليوم رحنه تعشينه مع اقاربنا و اتذكرتج و جربت الصلصله.. طلعت مو كلش حاره! انت رايحه لو بس نصحتيني لان تعرفين هيجي صلصه شنو طعمها؟

Sosa,
we went to bu qtair this evening with uncle Saad's family. the kids slept in the car on the way.

This time we ordered one fish per person. smaller fish though. wasn't that spicy :P

I have your airplane here but there's one battery missing!

Thank you my friends for your wishes :) My sister left to Amman last week and I miss her because i have no one here to bug or annoy :(

6/13/2009 1:09 AM  
Blogger زهرة الراوي said...

ههههههههههههههههه أتاوي آني عشت عمري كله هنا شلون ما أجرب وأعرف؟؟

يعني مثلاً إذا إنتي ما ظايكة البراتة أو الجباته فأنصحج تجربيهة ههههههههههه بس ديري بالج على نظافة المكان اللي تشترين منه :))

هوه إنتي شهيتينا ينرادلها روحة :)

6/19/2009 11:19 PM  
Blogger Jassim said...

The spicy sauce is the malabar fish curry and typical of the place where the owners of the restaurant come from...the main waiter there (the mustachioed 40 something guy calling out names) is the owner of the joint .....

3/21/2010 1:48 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Thanks Bladewidth for the info you just shared.

3/21/2010 2:06 PM  
Blogger mewmewmew said...

The Bu Qitter restaurant sounds like what we would call a "hole in the wall". That basically means a very small and unassuming place that turns out to be very surprising and pleasant. The fish in the picture looks really delicious! :)



enviar sms gratis
Übersetzung Italienisch Deutsch

1/19/2011 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home