Thursday, November 30, 2006

Pending...

Every now and then my family and I call friends or relatives just to check how they are doing back in Baghdad. And when there are clashes or any bad event, which became more often these days, in a certain area we hurry to send text messages to check on them.


Lately, all the phone calls we made and the SMSs we sent shared the same three words. "Pray for us".


Yesterday we sent three SMSs to three of our cousins. We got the first reply after few moments says that they were OK up to now but only God knows what will happen as no one in his sane mind can think in such kind of environment.


The second reply scarred us before we read it, for it was written in six pages. The mobile kept updating the text message and we kept saying "Allah al Hafudh". Here is the text:


Dear ……..,
Thank God we are ok. But the situation in general is more than tragic. I believe that we have arrived at a stage of no return. Maybe you'll have to exchange your passports as there no longer is a country called Iraq. Hence, you'll have to obtain passports from either the Shia region or Sunni region. It is not worthy to mention that men entering these regions must be wearing head turban, and women in Booshi. It is also preferable to wear traditional slippers instead of regular shoes to avoid embarrassment, and "he who released his warning is not to be lamented if bad events take place. Regards to all.


عزيزتي ________,
الحمد لله نحن بخير و لكن الوضع العام اكثر من مأساوي. و اعتقد اننا بلغنا مرحله اللاعودة فلربما سيكون عليكم ان تبدلوا جوازات سفركم فلم يعد هناك بلد اسمه العراق و عليكم ان تحصلوا على جوازات من الاقليم الشيعي او السني. علما ان الدخول لهذه الاقاليم بالعمامة للرجال و البوشية للنساء و يستحسن لبس (المداس) بدل الحذاء راجين عدم الاحراج و قد اعذر من انذر. تحياتي للجميع.



The third message is still pending...

12 Comments:

Blogger A. Damluji said...

hmm.

God keep you and your family safe, Atta.
things are looking bleak..
smile now? tears and worrying will not help anyone, including yourself..
this will pass, one way or another.

now, smile? come on? :)
take care please..

11/30/2006 5:49 PM  
Blogger David said...

Attawie, you and your family must be very worried about relatives and friends still in Baghdad. I can certainly understand your feelings. I am worried too, for all the people there! I wrote to my U.S. Senators last night about the situation in Iraq. I urged them to take action that will help reduce the level of violence and save the lives of Iraqi people. I also urged them to listen to the voices of Iraqi people and I gave them the blog addresses of three Iraqi bloggers (Raed Jarrar, Zeyad, and BT) in the hope that they will read and learn. I hope they will listen.

I hope that all those you love will stay safe. Take care.

11/30/2006 9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi anarki
how are you?? i told atta yesterday about the string. i bought a new one but i dont know hhow to put it? i hope she is not angry from me now:))
sis please dont be upset from me i didnt mean it
miss you
xxxx

12/03/2006 12:05 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

David,
Thank you for writing that letter. we need help. but I don't think there would be much to do about the letter. There are millions of Iraqis crying out for help for more than three years now, but no one is taking an action.

Anarki, I'm smiling now. not just because you told me to but about sosa. I called her and she told me about the guitar. see you soon.

Sosa,
I'm not upset as long as u r enjoying it. take care.

12/03/2006 5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

تبرىء الكلمات في القلوب

ثم همس الرب في قلوبنا...
الكلمات تصل حيث لا يقدر السلاح

سألنا حكيم قريتنا، كيف ينزل الدفء
على النفوس والشيطان
قد ألقى بسمومه المفضلة
خوفاً ويأساً وكراهية
على القلوب البريئة
كما الرماد من محرقة السعادة

كيف تنام عيون الايمان
وسرير الأمل
تفترشه ملاءة القنوط الشاحب
وعيون الحنث الفاسدة
تنتهك حرمة الكلمات المقدسة
وتسعد باغتيال هدايا السماء

وسألنا :كيف يبتسم الخير
ويصفع الكره الفضيلة من وجه الخجل
و أتباعه يشوهون ويحرفون فى نفوس ضحاياهم
حتى يصل الاعتقاد
بأن الإثم فضيلة والقتل عدالة والكره هو الحب

تحدث الحكيم
بصوته الخفيض وقال
أن للشيطان أتباع
يغتسلون في أنهار النبيذ في حادي*
وبعشق السخرية الفارغ
يحصدون نفوساً مغشوشة جنيت بمنجل الانتحار

مستحيل أن يكون الطريق إلى الفردوس مرصوفاً
بجثث الأبرياء - عبر نهرٍ من الدم
اعتنقوا مد الحق وجزره الرائع في قلوبكم
تقبّلوا الشك والعار أينما كانوا
لكي تدركوا أن النفس تسعد بالعطف وليس بالانتقام

سطع صوته كالضوء وقال:
ابحثوا بشجاعة في أعماق قلوبكم
بلا نفاق ولا خداع ولا إجحاف
وحين تلمسوا الايمان هناك
ستنزل الكلمات الالهيه دواءً للقلوب
مثل مطر أبدي يجذبه البحر دائماً
حتى يرتفع ليملأ حرم النفوس
بودٍ عميق هادىء ويغدو سلاماً
على شواطىء العزم الالهي.


[أرض الموتى في الأساطير الاغريقية*

أبريل 2006

12/04/2006 3:57 AM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Attawie, I don't really expect that my letter will help much either. However, my Senators (or a member of their staff) almost always write back to me. If enough people write in about an important issue, they will take action. I suppose that my writing is sort of like my voting. They are both acts of faith that a single person's opinion or choice can make a difference. All I know is that no one can make a difference by remaining silent!

Btw, I have a new post. I would be pleased if you would visit my blog. :)

12/04/2006 11:57 PM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

Atta:

:) i see!

forgive me for not divulging earlier, but i had a promise to keep.. problem solved now, right?

(and from what i understood, it was a minor incident, easily remedied)

see you soon inshallah.

Sosa: Hello hello!
let's get straight down to business first:

remove the ivory pin (the black button-thing at the end of the string) preferably with Pliers (بلايس) cuz it will be hard to move, then put the ball end of the string inside and...
oh well..

you can either take it to Freddy's (or the place you bought the strings from), i bet they would do it for free since you got them there.. oh, and get them to re-tune all strings, just in case..
(its an easy process wallah, shouldnt take more than 5 mins)

or i can string and tune it for you myself, in which case i would need a pc, so, either you give me the guitar for a day, or i come to any place you designate, if you have a pc and a microphone available nearby..

the first few times stringing a guitar is always kinda hard!

David: can i visit you too? :D
always a pleasure to read your posts..

12/05/2006 7:04 AM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

tuning by ear is wonderful and nice but i mostly have a +-5% margin of error, i dont like that!

with a tuner its much better!

12/05/2006 7:06 AM  
Blogger Michomeme said...

all iraqis are pending now..their life, their future...
even their thoughts and imagination..


how u doing attawie? how is ur familly?
i hope u r all fine

we are ok..just living

there's no college till now

:(


take care

12/06/2006 1:17 AM  
Blogger David said...

Anarki, of course you can visit too! ;)

I have a tuning fork for my D-string. I tune the rest by ear.

12/06/2006 2:30 AM  
Blogger rebelBodhi said...

check out mine,
http://usterrorism.blogspot.com/

12/07/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Attawie,
Did you ever receive the third message? I hope all your cousins are ok!

12/09/2006 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home