Thursday, June 22, 2006

Doomed

It has been so long since I published something in my blog. The news about Iraq is always frustrating; false promises and fake solutions to be. Zarqaui's video and Zarqaui's murder. Releasing prisoners from Abu Ghareeb and yet there are families waiting for their fathers, sons and brothers. Saddam is in court and it seems like a comedy, with the judge, lawyers and the whole issue is a charade. Men in Black robbing at night and yet we hear stories about bravery how the resistance is controlling the cities at night.

For a week, I felt weak. I couldn't write. I couldn't be optimistic. The only good news I heard was that the UAE is giving visit visas for Iraqis who don't have pre-entrance to the country. However, they will not give me residency. I'm writing this and I don't know what to become of me next week. My residency has expired last month and they gave me a month to find another way to stay or leave the country.

It's shocking when I come to realize that an Iraqi is refused to be given a residency even though the entire world knows that he is literally homeless. I had to leave Jordan after I finished my study because I am an Iraqi and they won't give me a residency or a "worker statement". In addition, I might have to leave UAE because I don't have a residency now even thought my mom does. However, she can't be my sponsor because she is an Arab woman.

On June 26th, the Institute of Art, where I am studying, is having an exhibition. Five of my works are hanging there on the wall waiting for an answer if they would be out of the country or not. Sema Dubai, a national channel in UAE, wanted to make interviews with four female artists under the age of 25 in the institute. They will be broadcasting live. I was chosen to be one of those young artists.

Last night I dreamt when the reporter came to talk to me, I started explaining my works and the colours along with old Baghdad atmosphere that shows in my paintings. Suddenly I started to cry. The reported tried to avoid the subject of Iraq and wanted to move on to the next artist. I started to tell my story and how I'll have to leave the country on 29th of June. Another minute and I was given a lot of gifts and painting tools by a Sheikha who happened to be there. and I was welcomed to stay in UAE. And I woke up.

Will that Sheikha come next week to the exhibition? Could that Sheikha be the answer to my visa issue?

Iraqis are doomed to suffer inside and outside their country. And that's all I have to say and write.

22 Comments:

Blogger Highlander said...

Salam Attawie! Programmer_Craig was kind enough to show me this blog and I'm absolutely pleasantely surprised by your talent. That self-protrait is so peaceful, I'm sure you are aware how pretty you look mish heik ?

Anyway please don't give up , there is always some purpose to your residency problems, I'm sure you will find a solution soon . Please do keep us posted on it and don't be sad , can you get into Syria? I heard you can stay 3 months there then need to renew your visa ..unless you have a job or get married ;) ..

6/23/2006 1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi attawie, i hope that everything will be better... we won't give up. we are iraqi and we learned not to give up on anything.. as we always say ارفع رأسك انت عراقي if u want translate it. good luck and God bless you.

6/23/2006 3:41 AM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

Hiya Attawie,

I don't understand this part:

However, she can't be my sponsor because she is an Arab woman.

Is it because she is a woman?

Maybe your dream will come true. I've dreampt about things before that actually ended up happening. It's hard to tell with these things. Best not to rely on that if there's another way, though. Isn't there a school you could enroll in, in UAE? That probably sounds silly because if it was that easy, you would have done it already. Sorry I can't come up with any useful suggestions, I'm clueless about these things :(

Highlander, I always love seeing the cute Libyan flag on the visitor graphs :)

6/23/2006 6:16 AM  
Blogger David said...

Attawie, I am very sorry to hear this news! However, I think you may have a real opportunity to at least briefly tell your story to the reporter. If people in Dubai can see how talented you are and understand your predicament, I think many would want for you to stay in UAE. I hope that your dream will come true!

6/23/2006 9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mahmood
Hi attawie...
I wish for your dream to come ture and get your residency in dubai.
and everything in Iraq? that's what good wants think who you will go on and never look back OK attawie may god help you salam

6/24/2006 1:20 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Dear friends and family,

Thank you all for your sweet comments. I wish everything will be alright for Iraqis soon.
I would like to tell you that I'm leaving to Jordan after tomorrow. I'll catch my sister's graduation party and her wedding too.
You won't miss me. I'll post from Amman. I'll tell you all about the trip.
Oh, and about the exhibition of course.

Note: the "self-portrait" is not my sketching. I wrote it in the previous comment but it seems no one noticed. I like my glasses.

Highlander,
It’s great to have a Libyan reader here. Welcome to my blog.

Sosa_lola,
I miss you so much. How are you? And what are you doing these days? See you in a couple of days.


Programmer craig,
In Ajman, an Arab woman cannot be a sponsor for a man even if he was her husband, nor can she be a sponsor for children even if they were her kids. Any foreigner women or"Lebanese" women are not included in this rule. A woman should be sponsored not a sponsor.

David,
I’m still thinking of a way to tell my story to the reporter. However, I won't need to now. I’ll tell you what will happen after the exhibition.

Morbido, You’ll see me on TV. Try to enable our mind-network before the reporter comes so you would help me in telling the story live.

Mahmood,
It’s great to see you here. A cousin is added to the list of commenter.

6/26/2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

What a strange rule for sponsoring, Attawi! I suppose there must be some reason for it? Well, you're going to Jordan now though? That's good, right? :)

6/27/2006 9:27 AM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

jordan? whos in jordan?
i'm in jordan... ah it sucks. am too tired and too busted out from all the baghdad s**t i got back home..

good luck, friend...

if you do come here, give me a ring, i'd sure like to say hiiiiii!

i'm thinking of making some drastic changes to my blog.. but still too tired.

oh, and, i'm alive as well!

take care sis, c ya round!

6/27/2006 7:28 PM  
Blogger Morbid Smile said...

Well I still haven't seen you on T.V. yet.. and couldn't catch you online! Wish you a grrrrrreat trip to Amman, and who knows, we might meet there next month or something ;)

The mind network is enabled and functioning well I guess. I was thinking of sending you something when you missedcalled me this evening :)

6/27/2006 10:31 PM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

I haven't seen her on TV either! Do they have a webacm plug-in for blogger, by any chance? That would be so cool :)

7/04/2006 2:24 AM  
Blogger Shams said...

Attawie,

I am new your blog, first of all i love it.
but honestly girl, I wish you the best, but haven't you thought of migrating to Canada for example, you can even study in here and apply for immigration, many international students are doing that.

Also, as an international student, you are allowed to work one year after graduation.

Canada is accomadating and the ppl are friendly, although it is cold.

all the best of luck 7abibti.

7/05/2006 9:19 PM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

:D nice meeting you! hope to repeat that soon!

take care now.. c ya round!

7/06/2006 2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/09/2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

=))

and again

=))

SPAM! Attawie, please, turn on Word Verification to prevent spam!

:))

7/09/2006 8:25 PM  
Blogger Morbid Smile said...

Word Verification is turned on here, but somehow spammers have found their ways to get through it! Same thing about email spams.. I get like 20 of them per day!!!

7/11/2006 1:11 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Hi

7/11/2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Morbid Smile said...

Only HI ??
Where's my daily email??! :(

7/11/2006 11:02 PM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

i guess its cuz Melantrys (with me in lieu) has managed to publish every single combination possible in the word-verification thingie down there..

:D

i SHOULD put up a new post, right??

bqvkk

7/12/2006 1:15 AM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

Bummer..
too bad bout 'Smile..

believe me it wasnt me (envying you both) :D

take care, cheer up, u'll meet her soon!

c ya round, salam to all..
oh and: WHERE IS THE NEW POST?

aha aha, my turn for post-teasing!

7/23/2006 4:36 AM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

sooooooooo... where is it? :D

8/30/2006 6:38 PM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

upiew.. someone looking up?
or maybe, someone's remark over another fella who hasnt taken bath in two years. ;)

8/30/2006 6:39 PM  
Blogger David said...

Is there something new about to be here? ;)

9/01/2006 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home