Saturday, April 15, 2006

Back to the Past



Attawie rode the magic bus to the world of fascination, back to the primitive history of human being to unfold the history of human being and the secrets of the story of man and his adaptation to environment: how he lived, what he ate, what he made and how he innovated places for dwelling and living in.



Attawie, and the accompanied group, saw all these and more in the halls of the Sharjah Archaeological Museum. It was a trip arranged by the Art school. They were only ten people: one teacher, seven students (five females, two male) and two kids came with one of the guys.



The first Archaeological hall covers the first known period of history, "Stone Age (5000-3000 BC). In this hall, we saw numerous pieces of rock stone in addition to old sea-shells. Can you imagine that man ate the flabby animals found inside since then?



Displays included ornamental items, necklaces as well as pottery of the slavery period. These monuments were found in Sharjah, a fact confirming the flourishing trade with Mesopotamia.





The second stage is which covers the period (3000-1300 BC) known as the Bronze Age. At this stage, men of the area knew settlement, industry and the use of bronze.







The third stage, know as the Iron Age (1300-300 BC) is the Oasis stage.



The fourth stage, covering the period (300 BC-611 AC) represents a tangible civilization flourishing in Sharjah and the region. This period marks the emergence of writing in the region, represented in the Southern Musnad calligraphy and some Aramaic writings.








I am glad I took this trip for I used to undervalue this place comparing it to the historical importance of Mesopotamia, the land of my ancestries.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bassam Sebti said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/19/2006 1:17 PM  
Blogger Bassam Sebti said...

Attawi,

These are great photos. They reminded me with my trip to the famous Metropolitan Museum of Arts in New York City. When I saw the pictures, I remembered how I was walking in the sections of the museum enjoying looking at the historical pieces.

http://baghdadtreasure.blogspot.com/2005/12/my-trip-to-united-states-of-america.html#comments

I hope one day, we restore our antiquities and make our Iraqi museum as great as it used to be. Once the occupiers leave, I can say our Mesopotamia will be back to our folds.

Thanks for the nice entry.

4/19/2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Hi everybody

Melantrys,
You are right about the flabby animals.. you are right about the smell. I don't like seafood in general except for fish 'n' chips. And at times I like to eat shrimps but it depend on the way it was cooked.

Baghdad treasure,
Welcome to my blog, I'm glad to see you here. Thank you for your previous comment.
Thanks for the link I enjoyed reading your diary.

I'm very interested in archaeology and I hope someday we will be able to restore our museums too. I remember my visits to Baghdad museum it was like a dream.

Pi,
Welcome to Attawie.
I fine ancients beauty of humankind real art. I look at today's paintings and sculptures, I wonder if the next generations would look at them and admire this "art" as we admire the ancients' art.

4/21/2006 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home