Monday, February 27, 2006

Much More to Come!

One of my favorite songs goes like this:

"I'm frightened by what I see
But somehow I know
That there's much more to come
Immobilized by my fear
And soon to be
Blinded by tears"

Many days passed and I have not posted a single word. With the news on TV, websites, and blogsphere, everything indicates the coming of a civil war. It is not easy to believe the media; they can make a mountain out of a grain. Nevertheless, this time it seems true. Shrines have been bombed. Mosques have been attacked. How can all this happen under the "ruling" of a government that claims it includes wise men both politicians and religious. Not forgetting that this country is under occupation that some allege, "They are here to uphold our so-called liberation".


Many days passed, each time I try to write I come up with mad, bloody and furious words that I cannot put together to express my feelings. I was not there. I did not hear a bomb or a single bullet. I am away from my beloved country. The country I wish I can go back to and pray for every night before I sleep. Feeling guilty, not knowing why. Is it because I am safe and they are not? Is it because I do not need to worry there will be a bomb on my way back home? Alternatively, the reason could be that everybody I know back home envy me for having a peaceful life and praise me that I planned well to get myself out of Iraq before it is too late?.

It did not take a minute to know that every thing was planned earlier. Under the curfew, how could anyone act with such high-speed? The shrine was bombed, curfew, next thing you know the mosques are being attacked!

Sighs and pain paralyze my pen. Words are gone.

I try to make sure that every one I know is fine and still alive. I pray for their safety. My usual prayers were "Oh dear God, keep those whom I love and those who love me safe. Keep those whom I know and those who know me safe. Pleas God; keep my relatives, friends and neighbors safe."

I cannot believe how selfish I was to say these prayers. What about the rest? Don't they have families, friends and neighbors?

Today I pray: "Dear God, keep Iraq and Iraqis united and safe"

5 Comments:

Blogger olivebranch said...

perfect prayers. I say the same tonight, but with a little selfish thought for myself and my family too.

I had to move out of home, and I just want them safe.

Dear god my family in my absence, and please look after me. I pray for the safety of Iraq and Iraqi's, may the good forces from within stop all this mess and spare us the violence.

2/27/2006 6:58 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Amen…

We’ll say our prayers right now and will figure out what to do to help.
Thankfully I heard from friends and family that it’s calmer today in Baghdad.

Luke, I like your network so much and I’d like to join you all soon.

2/28/2006 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/01/2006 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Duchess of Malfe
This is a try to see if this page can take my comment or not.
Hay I love your writing
Keep going sis.
Faithfully
Antonio

3/02/2006 12:28 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Greetings for all..
I want to thank you for passing by and reading my blog. I kind of stopped posting these days. I have a lot to say and yet said nothing.

amesh..
It's nice to read your comment here. I just can't imagin how could other Arabs let Iraq drawn in such chaos.

Dark Angel..
I'm glad you made it dear Antonio ;) and now you are able to comment. I miss the university.. how is everything there?

Take care all

3/05/2006 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home