Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Kid's Online Concert

It was only few days ago when I found "the kid himself" on line for the first time. He's been asking for my help for quite a while to find him a female violinist to play with his band on his graduation ceremony. In his point of view, they would be more attention-grabbing if they had a female playing with them in their band.

Actually most of the violinist I knew left Iraq and the other I have no idea where life took them. It was hard to find him any violinist, let alone a female one.

Luckily one of my high school found me on "find your classmates" and we've been in touch for about two months. The old friend new a female violinist and to make it luckier, the girl was in the same University the Kid goes to. This university is a small society. Everybody knows everybody.

So, now we have a group who wants to have concert but they lack a violinist and we found them one. As everybody knows, we don't know The Kid's real name and to make it worse, the girl refuses to give her name as long as she doesn't know with whom she would be dealing with. The thanks go to our society that girls can't trust guys and vise versa.

The chat between me and The Kid was an unordinary one. For first of all we don't know each others and we only know what the other wrote in the blogs. But music was the reason that made it easy to communicate. We started with salutation and a little chat about jobs and then he offered me to hear him play guitar.

I told him that I haven't played violin for two days because I was busy. He said that he would die if he didn't play guitar a day.

The first tune he played was "fog al nakhal" (= above the palm tree). It's one of, if not the most, famous Iraqi folkloric song. I haven't heard it for so long. I play it on my violin and I wanted to accompany The Kid in playing but unfortunately my baby girl cousin put the microphone in here mouth two weeks ago and it stopped working.

Then I told him I wanted to hear Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" and that I used to play the first very few cords. He played the song and other songs I requested and then he started playing and my job was to guess the songs.

Then we chatted about the music issue. He needed the violinist so bad but I shouldn't say a word about it but I couldn't help myself helping him. I started to give him hints about her grade and high school she went to and names a bit similar to her name. But The Kid was in despair and I gave him a frank hint. THEN just like any normal chat in Iraq, he disappeared and I figured that it was the power.

Few seconds later he came back and he thought I was the one who disappeared. Any way few lines and I had to leave the chat to sleep and we end with the salutations and out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Morbid Smile said...

Hey, that seems fun! Maybe I should say that I heard The Kid playing one time as well.

You must let me hear you playing violin some day!!

Nothing Else Matters always reminds me of you. I even downloaded it to keep listening to it although I'm not a fan of Metalica ;)

Take care

1/30/2006 12:38 AM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

:)

get him to try "Set me free" by Velvet Revolver.. been trying to make him learn that one for decades.

seems he doesnt listen to me anymore.. is that bad or good?


:D

we have a nice musical scene in my college, altho seems like none of them know all the others...let me see who i know:

we have a girl violinist in Arch. Dept., not too sure bout the year, couple of years younger than me.
think she's quit or something..


in addition, there's also a Bass player (Orchestra Bass, not guitar-y bass) in Laser, VERY good, we have the CHIEF of young guitarists in Mech. dept., "Jason" H..the second best after Sa'ad Zai, he's my age, also we have two RETIRED *cough cough* guitarists in Computer Dept. (Me and my friend the V-knight)..rhythm and solo, respectively.

we also have two guitarists there as well, the Kid, and Bashar al-qaisy's bro, in the same class..


we did have another violinist somewhere in science college.. cant remember the name tho..

point of this all?
our college is SMALLER than small. if someone even burps somewhere, we'll all know about it!


anyhow, if your girl violinist wants to know who the Kid is, give her this hint:

he's with Bashar al-Qaisy's brother in the same class.

All Arab girls seem to know bout Bashar!

you've narrowed the possibilties down from 250 to 20!

and let her figure out the rest..

2/14/2006 10:45 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Greetings for all
Morbido... I was practicing a new concerto so I would play it when you come. When your visa was rejected I lost interest and I’m still in the first 3 pages and left the other two. Now I’ll do my best to finish practicing so I would play it to you online soon.

Melantrys... hi, welcome here. I love “Hotel California”. Morbido and I used to sing it a lot. How is your HD?

Anarki … welcome back. It seems that you know a lot of people I know. I’ll try to send you an e-mail soon (full names easier to recognize). You got to make the kid listen to you. You are the tutor :)
The violinist, as it seems to me, lost her interest. I told the guy who is in touch with her and we’ll leave it to her.

I wish I could go back to Baghdad even if it’s only for few days just to play music with you guys and that’s it.

Take care

2/15/2006 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home