Thursday, January 19, 2006

Pastry Day/ Genie 'n' a bottle

Yesterday Grandma and I had a pastry day. She made "kubba" which looks like and is almost an English shepherds pie, "arais" (like lasagna but instead of the pasta we put bread), and I helped her in making "kleecha" (the most famous Iraqi pastry or cookie stuffed with dates also known in other Arab countries as Ma'mool). I baked a coconut cake and made coconut cookies.

I remember how we used to have "kleacha" festivals few days before Eid back in Baghdad. I remember I used to steal from the dough and eat before it was baked. I did that yesterday too :)
We had a nice day. In the evening my mom's cousin came with three of her kids. We had the pastries with tea.

When I went to bed I remembered my mom's word "Don't leave the cake uncovered". I remembered I took it back to the kitchen but I didn't cover it. Then I thought my grandmother is so insightful, she must have covered it before she went to bed. Guilt plays its role and forced me to go to the kitchen at 2 am just to check the cake.

I looked where I left the cake but it was gone. I said "yes, I was right" then I wanted to check where the cake was. I checked where we keep the cookies but no luck. I checked both refrigerators with their freezers but no luck. I checked the cupboard but no luck. Then I thought it could be someone who wanted to eat it and took it to the living room but no luck. As long as it's missing then it must be somewhere. It was a big cake and only three or four pieces where eaten. I remembered a friend who had a tale to tell about her duck.

My friend had balloon like a duck, which she used to take with her swimming when she was a child. After she got older, she left the duck resting on her closet. She used to go to sleep and look at the duck. Four years and the duck up there was smiling in her face every night. One night she looked as usual at the duck and fell asleep. Next day, she opened her eyes to see the duck was gone.

She ran to her mother asking her about the duck. Her mother had no answer. She asked the neighbors who visit but they knew nothing. She called cousins and friends and told them that the duck is gone and she wondered if it was someone playing a joke on her. None knew anything about where the duck was.
She went back to her mother asking if she gave the duck to someone and didn't want to say. She assured her mother that it's alright if she had done so; she only needs to know that the duck didn't disappear.

The friend lived her life after giving up and she still has no doubt that there are creatures living among us but we can't see them. She was certain that their home was haunted or they had genies around.
One day she was missing a Pepsi-bottle from the case of 24 bottles and she needed it to exchange the empty case with a new one. She searched everywhere but she just couldn't find it. She started running and shouting in her house "You took the duck. It is fine. But give me back my bottle".

A note: I found the cake today in the pickle jar. It was a clean big jar but had some pickle smell. My grandmother has lost her sense of smelling when she was a child :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Morbid Smile said...

Hey girl, it's 1 midnight now! Guess what? the electricity came on after one hour, and I decided to get online and read your post as you said that you would publish a new one. It's funny indeed!

I remember that when I was a child I used to kick the floor when I lose something thinking that the devil took it!

Send me some kleacha!

1/19/2006 2:22 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Hey Smile..
Bad luck. I logged out after you left but I was up untill 4:30 am. My grandma left and I had a new book to read. It's Stephen R. Covey's "The 7 habits of highly effective people". I'm enjoying it.

You want some Kleacha?? I don't think there will by any untill I see ur mom. ;)

Did you get anything back by kicking the floor ?
Take care

1/19/2006 4:33 PM  
Blogger olivebranch said...

hey attawie :) great post, good to see you seem a little more happy. I still want you to email me so we can talk!

lukey@iinet.net.au I don't quite know how many times i posted it =P

Pce

[olivebranch]
by the way, I have an idea or rather some inspiration for my next poem, maybe you will beat me to it, here is the words of inspiration:

Well be the water for their fire, we can fight together :)

1/22/2006 4:50 PM  
Blogger olivebranch said...

posted a poem/prayer for Jill Caroll on my blog today... you might like it?

1/23/2006 8:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Recipes! Please!

1/24/2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Hi Olivebrance.. I read your poem. It's so nice of you to write it.
I hope you would like my "let's pray".

Dave Schuler..welcome here.
I'm not good with recipes but I'll write you some soon.

Take care

1/25/2006 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home