Sunday, April 09, 2006

Neither a Fall nor Liberty Day

I was about to publish a cheerful poem when I noticed it's April 9th already. I felt ashamed of that day and I just couldn't publish the poem. It would be a waste of time to post romantic words when the world was rocked on this date. It was "Baghdad fall" as they call it, or "Baghdad liberation's day" if you may. But I don't know what to call it. For me it's definitely none of them both.

April 9th 2003, early morning. It was mourning rather than a morning. I remember that day minute by minute. The shock was obvious on all faces you know. The voices were choked. Eyes were sleepy. No brain could bare the news.

I was sleeping at our relative's, as we used to spend wartime at their home better than our home, which was near what they call now the green zone. How ironic, green zone were the lives are harvested now. I was sleeping on the ground just like most Iraqis during wartime, I heard the family talking about it, but somehow couldn't believe it. I tried to burry my head between my pillow and quilt trying to smother their voices talking about uncanny news. I closed my eyes trying to persuade myself to go back to sleep to end this nightmare. Nevertheless, unfortunately I wasn't asleep. I wasn't dreaming. I didn't want to think about it not loving what we had but frightened by what will happen.

Whatever you call this date I still insist is not. Baghdad is still standing and still struggling to gain liberty. Baghdad is still resisting just like it will always be.

Therefore, it is neither a fall nor a liberty.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right attawie and only those who lived in Iraq through these last three years would understand this. Thanks.

4/09/2006 11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read your other posts and it strikes me that actually you're living now outside Iraq . You're still attached and it's so clear in your posts as if you are already living here.
Wish you all the best attawie.

4/10/2006 2:00 AM  
Blogger olivebranch said...

it is no longer April 9, and its about time for something romantic.

Let us hear your words of love after these days of pain- to ease our souls.

I have a new poem for you too.

4/11/2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger ahmed said...

I precisely understand what u mean, it's more of like something in between, what I was really ashamed at the time that day was that I couldn't really feel as cinematic as I thought I would feel when Saddam's statue feel, would make an idea for a good post.

Stay safe Sis

4/14/2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Morbid Smile said...

Where are you??? No emails, no offlines and no posts! I talked with your little sister last night. She told me that your internet at home is so slow and bad, but how about the one at work?? Write something!!

4/15/2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Hi.. I'm back.

Miraj..
This is the third year I spend away from Baghdad but my dreams still about Baghdad and the friends I left there. I miss everything about Baghdad, people, places and even the air.

I know it might take years and years to go back but I'll never lose my hope.

Hi Luke, I got your e-mails. I liked your new poems.I'll post mine soon.

The Kid is here. Hi..
I believe every true feeling and thought can make a good post. Just write.

Morbido :D

I'm busted.. I'll write you now.

4/15/2006 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi how are you
i miss you sooo much, and i miss these days when we were together.
i really cant forget what we felt. it was very difficult for all of us. hope our days will be back soon. God Bless you all

4/19/2006 8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear attawi , I disagree with you , it is definitely the liberation day , I know it has been hard for all of us to live in this(hell) if i may say in the past 3 years

but before I didnt have any hope i felt like iraq was in an endless dark tunnel and I know you will say look at us now , your right things are very bad and for me personal it was maybe a disaster ,but atleast i have a hope of a better future , i can see a light at the end of the tunnel altough i know already it will take us alot of time to reach the end

4/24/2006 2:18 AM  
Blogger 8 ball pool all version said...

thanksgiving messages for business

short thanksgiving quotes

thanksgiving quotes for friends

emotional thanksgiving messages

thanksgiving quotes inspirational

famous thanksgiving quotes inspirational

thanksgiving sayings short

quotes on thanksgiving and gratitude

famous Thanksgiving Day Messages

9/25/2018 6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home