Friday, May 12, 2006

Pieces of a Memory

I was having my breakfast yesterday around 10 when I saw some familiar waves and a boat on TV. Immediately, raised the volume and started to sing with the song:

[L] is for the way you look at me,
[O] is for the only one I see,
[V] is very, very extraordinary
[E] is even more than anyone that you adore.

It's the movie I've seen ten times before, but not alone, with my younger sister. When we rented this movie, we watched it three times or maybe more, I can't remember. But what I am sure about is that when we took the CD back to the store we bought a copy. It was "The Parent Trap" staring by Lindsay Lohan

That summer, whenever some one came to visit we would never let them go out without watching at least few scenes from this movie. We memorized the script, the songs and the gestures they make, and each time we watch it, we discover something new.

The years went by and we grew up. Years had come and gone and we are never the same. It was 10 am and there's no way on earth I would start the day with watching a movie I've seen many many times before. I finished my breakfast and did not move. Sitting and watching the movie and thinking of telling my sister to watch the movie too but she was not only in her class at collage at the time but also in a different country.
Few days ago, My little sister became 21 years old. I still can't believe it.
Happy birthday sis :)

I sat in front of the television, watching that movie, remembering how it was fun. Though we used to drop some tears when Halley and Annie discover they were twins, and some other tears when they meet the parents. Today, I saw the movie and shed a tear each five minutes or less. Tears for the family reunion, and tears for each time one of the characters knew the identity of who was that little girl. I cried when the nanny cried. I cried when they started to eat Oreos with peanut butter. I even cried when I heard the song:
"There she goes
There she goes again
Racing through my brain
And I just can't contain, this feeling that remains

My little sister and I loved the lizard scene. It's a scene when one of the twins puts a lizard on their father's fiancé's head without her noticing it and then start to teas her until she gets angry and starts shouting. With her mouth wide open, the lizard crawls to her face and enters here mouth. My sister and I would start jumping and screaming from the moment the little girl carries the lizard up to the end of the scene. We just wanted the scene to end but the moment it ends, we would rewind the scene and watch it all over again and again. It was the best scene to tease our eldest sister. We would call her and beg her to watch something with us and surprise, the creature she hates the most on earth is the hero of the scene.

This movie took me back years and years to the past. For two hours, I felt I was watching this movie sitting here on this couch but my soul was watching this movie in the small room where my sister and I used to play video games and watch movies at our home back in Baghdad.
It was as if I was still the same kid watching the movie with tears in her eyes up to the last few words and the song would end with:

This will be
An everlasting love
This will be
The one I've waited for
This will be
The first time anyone has loved me.

A couple of months I became 23, last week my little sister became 21. We both grew up and had to go on with our lives but I believe that there are things in the world that make us feel like children. No matter how old we grew, remembering old days whether they were good or bad, happy or sad, silly or mad, we would laugh about it and enjoy these pieces of a memory.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sis
i still remember this film... and i don't mind if i can watch it again. i really miss the things we used to do... i miss playing with you and everything. i miss our laughes. :(
i wish you were there in my Birthday party. :(

5/12/2006 3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiiiiiiiiiii
attawie how are you?
its me nadeeeem
have a nice day
:)

5/12/2006 3:23 PM  
Blogger Morbid Smile said...

Ya sakheefa you made me cry!!

I was watching the movie that day as well, and remembered when you once gave me the CD to watch it! You made everyone watch it, even me! ;)

Oh I see the family is here this time!

5/13/2006 2:26 AM  
Blogger David said...

I have not seen "The Parent Trap" with Lindsay Lohan, but I saw the original movie that was made in the 1950's once (no, I am not that old!). Maybe I will rent this newer version and see if I like it as much as you. :)

I have a sister who is two years younger than me, but for most of our lives we have not been very close. We were always very different and we fought all the time as children. We stopped fighting a long time ago, but we are still very different. I am happy for you and your sister that you are so close. :)

5/13/2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Sosa,
I wished I was there too. Inshaa Allah next years we will celibrate it together.

Nadeem,
so, my brother in law is here!!
how are you? I'm fine.
take care of my sisters

Morbido,
I cried and cried and even laughed at myself crying when i watched the movie.
so, we were both watching the same movie.. wow

David,
I never knew there was an original movie. this one was made in 1998.

Thank you. Having sisters is so much fun even with the fights over games and stuff. I remember each time we played card-games, my little sister would spoil the game if she was the loser. She made me swear for many times that I would never play with her again. Later she would go to my mother and ask her to talk to me so we can play again.

The good thing is that we both liked, and still like, the same songs, movies and games.

5/13/2006 5:48 PM  
Blogger David said...

Attawie,
Here is a link to the original "Parent Trap" movie from 1961 (ok, I was off by a few years). It starred Hayley Mills as the twins, and includes the famous actors Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith. As I recall, it was a really good movie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055277/

5/14/2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger David said...

Attawie,
Here is a link to the original "Parent Trap" movie from 1961 (ok, I was off by a few years). It starred Hayley Mills as the twins and includes the famous actors Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith. As I recall, it was a really good movie!

5/14/2006 7:35 AM  
Blogger Lynnette In Minnesota said...

Attawie and David,

That was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.

Yes, I've seen both the original with Hayley Mills and the remake. Although I didn't see the original when it was first out! :) That was a little before my time. lol! I loved Maureen O'Hara in the original. I used to enjoy watching her in John Wayne movies too.

The remake follows really close to the original, except the songs are updated.

5/16/2006 12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. She is your sister."
~Barbara Alpert
Your words are from the heart and not from the mouth. I do understand what you mean especially I have one sister. I wish you all the best especially you have a lovely young sister. The youngest child stays in our eyes all the time young and spoiled even she/he reaches their forties.
When this film was originally released in theatres, I had no desire to see it because I didn't think it could possibly live up to the Hayley Mills version. Years later, I was flipping channels and saw it featured as the Disney movie of the week, and I fell in love with it! This version is even BETTER than the original! So much of the plot mimics the original story (twin girls separated at birth reunite and scheme to get their parents back together), and the small deviations are wonderful, like having one of the twins speak with a British accent (so cute!).
The one disappointment in this film is that the twins Lindsays don't do a modernized version of "Let's Get Together," which is the song that the twin Hayleys performed for their parents in the original film. In fact, there's no real musical number in this version at all (although they do briefly pay tribute to the classic song).

6/14/2006 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home