Friday, April 25, 2008

Meeting Rosy

I heard her name was Rosy. I’ve never met her before. I saw her from a distance walking gracefully without knowing it was her. When I approached her they told me that she was the one.

Rosy was a brunet, elegantly curved, with dark mysterious eyes. One glance from her I felt she could look down deep into my soul. She was silent for brief minutes and I was looking at her trying to be acquainted and start a relationship. I was intimidated as much as I was enthusiastic to ride the mare, Rosy.




The trainer told me to climb up and sit on the saddle. For a moment I looked at huge Rosy and prayed for God that everything will go on just fine. Once I was on the saddle, with my body straight up, the elegant horse-riding black cap on my head, it felt like home. According to the trainer’s instruction, I kicked Rosy and made the sound with my tongue, but Rosy stands still. The trainer laughed at me and told me to kick harder and I said “Poor Rosy”. A couple of times and my kicks were getting harder and Rosy obeyed the command.

Now I was few meters away from the trainer, and she said to me with a loud voice “control the horse as if you’re driving a car”. I smiled secretly and said to myself thankfully I drove for two weeks back in Baghdad during 2000. Rosy kept walking me rounds and rounds in the training arena. The trainer took the time to teach me the “up & down” exercise.

After a while I found myself talking to Rosy as if we were old friends. The trainer asked me from a distance if I wanted Rosy to run. Thinking of course I want, I nodded with my head for approval. She told me to shorten the bridle, kick again and whistle.

By doing that, it felt like magic. Rosy started to run and the morning breeze started to blow in my face. I felt I was standing like Jack and Rose on the forefront of the Titanic. By runny joyfully for several rounds, Rosy encouraged Blue (my uncle’s horse) to run as well. Unfortunately, my uncle has a problem with heights and animals, and just like me he wanted to face challenges, but he wasn’t ready to run yet.

Whenever there was a chance and Blue was afar for a good distance, I would command Rosy to run and enjoy it. By then Rosy and I were fiends as I believe and I was patting on her long horsy neck. But time flied by and the hour was over and I had to say goodbye to Rosy and the trainer and I promised that it wasn’t scary and I enjoyed it and will definitely come back again soon.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger attawie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4/23/2008 3:15 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

This is my third oil painting. it's a copy of Faeq Hassan's painting. I finished it within two weeks during 2006

http://www.iraqiartist.com/iraqiartist/Archive/faeq_hassan/Faeq_Hassan.html

4/23/2008 3:17 PM  
Blogger Khalid said...

yaay!

i love horses!

i dont know if i can substitute tigger with a horse though, its sort of hard to put a horse in an apartment i would think : D

4/24/2008 6:45 PM  
Blogger David said...

Attawie, it sounds like you had a wonderful experience riding Rosy. I enjoyed your detailed and metaphoric description. I hope you can go back soon to meet her again. :)

I can't remember exactly how old I was the one time that I rode a horse. Maybe I was 7 or 8 years old. I remember the horse seemed very large, but I was pretty small, so the horse may have been of average size. The horse was a light cream color. I remember the horse trotting under me, but I don't think it was really running. Still, it felt like we were going pretty fast. My horse was probably an old horse that was reserved for children because of its good temperament.

I am surprised that the trainer told you to control the horse like driving a car. I wouldn't have thought there was any similarity. So, you have only driven a car for two weeks in your life? I have been driving continuously since I was about 16 years old. That is pretty typical for men and women in the U.S. I know that in some Arab countries women are never allowed to drive cars. But, I also know that Iraq was a very different place from Saudi Arabia, for example, before the war. So, are women allowed to drive in UAE? Would you like to drive a car again?

I remember the scene of Jack and Rose at the prow of the ship enjoying the wind and pretending to fly. :) Titanic was such an excellent movie!

Your painting of the three horses is very good. They seem quite lifelike. It seems like you prefer to copy the paintings of other artists. Is that correct? Have you ever tried to paint directly from your own imagination? Just wondering. Copying is very good practice for artists. I know that some famous artists like to paint a scene that they are looking at. So, in a sense, they are copying, but in this case the original is nature itself. Other artists can work indoors and imagine wonderful things in their minds and transfer those visions to their canvas. I am not much of an artist, but in the past when I tried to draw what I was looking at, it always came out looking very wrong on the paper. My best drawings of things come directly from my imagination. Anyway, I guess I am just curious about your artistic style.

4/25/2008 11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

11/15/2009 2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home