Friday, March 07, 2008

16 going on 25

Each and every birthday I had since high school I would count the years and make sure how old I was and still couldn’t believe it. Each year comes and adds age as well as experience to me but I never felt my real age. I was always 16 in thinking, behaving, and acting and even in whatever I plan.

As today marks my 25th year on the earth, under the sky; I figured it out. I am no longer 16. I will always keep that girl inside of me. She will be alive. But this year I decided to live my age, at the same time I would always carry the joy, the openness, the friendly attitude and whatever sweet Attawie had from her sweet 16.
I learnt that life is not easy and sometime we struggle to get what we want and even though sometimes we get carried away by emotions and make so many wrong decisions. But life has given us at the same time the privilege to decide not to look at the empty half of the glass. We have so many roads that we can choose from. We choose if we want to be stuck at the same moment for years and we choose to move on and make use of our mistakes.

Life is like a map with so many roads with many crossovers; each road takes you to specific destination but at the same time crossovers offer you to remain in the same road or switch to another. At times crossroads confuse you even with the best maps you cannot avoid them. Other times you bump into holdbacks that toss you and shake your ground but holding on is the only way to keep you going.
Fog might haze your horizon and baffle your eyes. You run into people in certain circumstances and you think you found the right way to reach your destination. It might takes you a long while before you find out your hanging out with the people who make you deviate form the right road but it’s never too late and you can always take the U-turn.

Today I’m 25 and enjoying it. I have so many destinations I want to reach. From what I’ve reached so far I met many friends who played a big role in helping me become who I am today.

This journey is getting better and better even though there were tears and pain, yet the best is to come, insha Allah.
And from now own deep inside I will be singing just like my favorite singer, Bryan Adams,

“I’m gonna be 18 ‘till I die”
At least not 16
Because a friend of mine told me that numbers are only relative matter :D

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Happy Birthday Attawie! :) I hope you will have a delicious cake with family and friends to share it with you.

I am glad that you are able to see your glass as half full. I also try to appreciate the fullness in my cup, rather than lamenting its emptiness. Having spent long periods in darkness, I can see the beauty in small rays of light. :) Still, there are many times when I live in the past and wonder where I would be if I had done things differently.

I hope that your road ahead will lead you to happiness. Remember that the journey is always easier when you have others with you to help carry your burdens along the way.

I agree with your friend, age is just a number. ;)

3/07/2008 11:30 AM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

Happy Birthday, Attawie :)

25 is a great age! Why would you want to be 18!? 25 is old enough that people start to take you seriously, but young enough that you still have your whole life in front of you. Enjoy it :)

3/07/2008 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!!! *hugs*!

3/07/2008 6:35 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Hi ya Attawie,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

3/07/2008 11:18 PM  
Blogger Michomeme said...

Happy Birthday Attawie
Joyeux Anniversaire

3/08/2008 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I just came across your blog today, & I'm happy to see antoher iraqi girl like ME here.. I turned 25 this year too and my cousin gave a birthdaycard that saids happy sweet 16, coz she thinks that I act like a 16 years old too!!

Take care.

3/14/2008 4:07 AM  
Blogger Marshmallow26 said...

3eed Meelad Sa3eed Attawie.

3u8bal 100 sana :)

3/16/2008 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home