Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Attawie from Sharjah al '3ariqa

So, some news updates! UAE has been praying for God to have rain since December 2007, Thursday was first day in Hijri calendar, Bush decided to come to UAE, what else, nothing except Attawie’s first personal exhibition is on the 16th.

With that Thursday off which makes it a three-day weekend, and Bush’s visit to Dubai which made Dubai give a day off, and the praying for rain has finally paid off, attawie’s invitation prints were delayed for a couple of days. It’s ok, no need to panic. Everyone has been informed by phone, e-mail or face to face conversation and by WOM (word of mouth). Still 300 card of invitation need to be distributed. Relatives and friends and some colleagues received their invitation. With a super ride with dad, attawie was able to spread the invitations in Ajman, the university, and Sharjah Lady Club. As for Dubai, it was so hectic and I couldn’t reach there because of the rain, only phone calls and emails were made.
Some people were able to reach my home and get the invitation themselves and they would help to distribute them.

As for the posters it was the institute’s and the department of art job. I only took some to place in the university, the lady club and our building. But it’s raining. They will be indoors ads.

I went to the institute today to hand the works on the walls. I know it’s late and the exhibition is tomorrow but yesterday I went and the administration hasn’t decided whether to put it in the first floor or the second. The second is better because the place is nicer. As for the first floor, there are some new huge machines which are impossible to move, are sitting in the middle of the hall. I’ll post photos to explain later. But I really don’t mind. I don’t want anything to bother me.

The woman in the administration, who was supposed to do the phone call invitations didn’t do her job, and with all the rain she couldn’t make it to the institute. I end up calling people to invite them. And since I’m very well known in the institute, didn’t just take the message, no no, they wanted to chitchat. I hardly made 7 phone calls and land line died as a result from the rain.

oh, and I heard that there will be two tv channels to cover the exhibition. Sharjah tv must be one of them and i'm worndering who's the second.

I hated Bush for coming and I hated the day off, and I really don’t give a damn about his visit or what he came to say. All that he says is just empty words within empty promises.

The rain is pouring down since yesterday and the streets are blocked. There’s no Sharjah anymore, there’s only Sharjah al ‘3ariqa (sinking sharjah)

I just wanted to clear my mind before the exhibition and write something in here and ask you all to pray for me and wish me luck.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger David said...

It sounds like things have been very hectic for you the last few days Attawie! But, it sounds like everything is coming together for your exhibition. I hope that many people will come to enjoy the fruit of your artistic labor. I am really looking forward to seeing your pictures! :)

We have had too much rain here. Parts of Indiana are deep under water. Many houses were flooded and people had to evacuate to shelters. The city of Indianapolis, where I live, didn't flood this time, but it has flooded here many times before. I hope the rain will stop in UAE so the streets will be open. This is very important so that people can come and enjoy your exhibition! :)

You and I agree completely about Bush. I don't give a damn about him or what he has to say either! But, don't let his visit bother you. This is your time to shine and I am sure that many people will be very impressed by your creations.

All my best wishes for you tomorrow! :D

1/15/2008 11:35 PM  
Blogger Marshmallow26 said...

Hello Attawie,

Oh am sorry to hear about the delay, but its OK : Kul mani3 bi '7eir"

I am going to cross my fingers and will watch Sjarijah TV but which one the satellite or the local TV?


GOOD LUCK DEAR

1/16/2008 10:50 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Hi all, this is just to update.
It rained continously since yesterday and the streets are worse. I went out today and went to check everything about exhibiting my works and I saw some abanded cars in the streets. Five people are dead and many are injured. Schools are closed until next Sunday.

We decided to postpone the exhibition for next week. I'll keep you updated.

The ads for the exhibition were published today in two newspapers and dad heard one on the radio.

I'll have to inform the media.

David, this will definitly give me more time to post some pictures and scan the invitation and send it to friends and reach the poeple i couldn't reach.

Marshi,
Thanks for the prayers, I hope there will be more '7eir next week :D
and btw, it's one Sharjah stellite tv. I'll let you know when.

Thank you all

1/16/2008 1:32 PM  
Blogger David said...

Attawie, I'm very sorry to hear that the bad weather has killed and injured people there. As far as I know, the flooding here did not claim any lives. Sometimes, when bad weather comes people are just not cautious enough. Here, when people are warned to evacuate, sometimes they refuse to leave their homes. Other times, when people are warned to stay in their homes, they ignore the warning and go out anyway. Either situation can unfortunately lead to injury or death. I suppose that most people in UAE are not accustomed to so much rain and flooding. So they may not know how to take the proper precautions.

I'm sure that you are disappointed to have to postpone your exhibition, but it is probably for the best to do so. At least you will have the opportunity to contact everyone that you would like to invite. I hope everything will work out for next week and that you will have a very successful exhibition. Good luck!

1/16/2008 11:38 PM  
Blogger Marshmallow26 said...

Oh Ok Attawie...thanks for the info

1/17/2008 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

attawie

First; your nickname is simillar to my lastname and this is the reason to visit your blog.

Good luck.. and best wishes for you in your exhibition..

1/18/2008 10:53 PM  
Blogger ahmed said...

best of luck.

1/19/2008 10:36 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Nayef Al-Atawi,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you like it in here. But actually my nickname is read as it's written, /atawi/ :D

Thank you guys all.

1/19/2008 7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck in your exhibition.

1/20/2008 11:51 AM  
Blogger David said...

I looked up the five day weather forecast for Dubai:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/41194.html


It looks like pretty good exhibition weather. :) Lucky you with 70 degree F days! Here the high today will be 15 degrees F if we are lucky. Wish I could vacation in your part of the world. If I save my money for 10 years, maybe I could afford a few days in the Burj Al Arab Hotel. ;)

1/20/2008 2:13 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Thank you blogiraq,
thank you david,
thank you all

I just want to say that my exhibition was the bomb for this evening. will post and update you later.

1/23/2008 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home