Friday, March 20, 2009

On a Day Like Today

After years of living in the sense of lost, after years of trying to maintain the needed hope, after saying all the prayers needed to preserve wisdom, after all years of avoiding insanity, after all the years of being in denial and convincing myself of Holding on, I come to realize that years would never stop passing by and this day of the year would no doubt come and I have to face it.

I'm away from beloved Baghdad. I'm away from family and friends. I'm away from the land I was born on; away of the soil I took my first step on, away from the house I was raised in, away from my neighbors, I'm away … but… not mind and soul.
War, chaos, loss of uncountable people and things, unemployment, corrupted system, mysteries, sadness, chain of mischief, lost dreams, burnt houses, smell of death, widows, orphans, tears, sad stories, cruel memories… That's all what we are left with?

Promises are never kept. Lies are said for free. History is writing while people are looking away. I don't want to write another poem. It's just the same haunting story. Politicians are merely but a joke. People are treated like sheep. An observer is watching like a jerk.

I don't want to sound devastated. I don't want to show despair. I just want to tell you the picture is not pleasant, And it needs a lot of repair. What's going on right now is unfair.

I lost my focus and lost my words. I'm not sure if it makes sense. But that's all you're going to get on a Day Like Today. Life is frozen… the clock is broken. The prayers you're saying are not answered today.

It may read like a poem. It may seem like an epitaph but it's nothing but a stirring thought; A rage that has been calm; Waiting for the right time: to take an action and answer the call of the Palm.

Oh Iraq, returning has become the dream that makes my day. Your memory is the sweetness in this bitter life. You are the sound of laughter, background music for this noisy life, the kiss on a mother's forehead, the grip of an infant fist.

That's all for now.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Atta,
Wallahi it'll come the day that God will judge the people who are responsible about all these thing that happend to our beloved Iraq.
I am pray'n to see that day in Aldonya, but if not, so it'll be in Ala5era.

3/20/2009 11:39 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Hi, I'm praying for that too. Thank you my friend.

3/20/2009 11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anybody hurt you do not be sad, cuz there will be God, He will judge anyone who hurt and kill in this world.

3/20/2009 11:45 PM  
Blogger Touta said...

This has to do with the annivesary of Iraq being 'liberated' right? The only thing that annoys the hell out of me is the smugness that so many idiots use, as if to say what a favour they have done by killing the people we loved, and devastating our lives.

I hate politicians too, and tyrants and idiots in general, but one thing that too many people cannot fathom is how bad wars are.
Anyways, take care attawie, and hope you see Baghdad and its sprawling cables soon. :D

3/21/2009 12:41 AM  
Blogger C.H. said...

Attawie, do you plan to visit Iraq again soon?

How is your schoolwork going?

3/21/2009 8:54 PM  
Blogger C.H. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3/21/2009 8:56 PM  
Blogger C.H. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3/21/2009 9:10 PM  
Blogger MixMax said...

What happened in Iraq is not something that can be repaired quickly or easily. If I would write about all the things, it will take me much longer to write about. Iraq needs time, like a wounded man who is so burdened with his wounds and injuries, it needs time, it won't heal that quick

If it wasn't for us, hopefully Iraq will be a better one for those we left behind.

3/22/2009 12:51 AM  
Blogger David said...

Attawie, I can feel your sense of loss and your longing to see your home again. I hope you can visit Baghdad sometime in the near future. Are you going to attend Micho's wedding?

3/22/2009 10:18 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Touta, right :) very soon inshaAllah :)

C.H.
I hope I can but unfortunately no.
Schoolwork! :|

MM,
and if not for those we left behind, hopefully for their children and the next generation.

David,
I'm going nowhere :(

3/23/2009 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home