Thursday, February 19, 2009

Amman Diary - the Picnic

Chapter No5
The Park Meeting/picnic


After several meetings in malls and cafés, we decided that we need a better place to meet where there's no hookah smoke nor loud songs with the crowd. So, Bassam and I had the same idea about going to a park and enjoy our time there.

We set the time and place and went to the park. Iraqis going to a park means a picnic. Iraqi picnic means rice, dolma and many other kinds of food to be taken in pots. I suggested that we don't need this kind of picnic and let's have only chips, cake and drinks. The guys were supposed to take care of the drinks, which ended up as Anarki's job. And the girls, Morbido, Micho and I to take care of the other things.

Morbido and I thought of taking a mat to sit on, but both of us were just visitors in this country and we didn't have any.

Unfortunately the kid couldn't make it to the picnic. He caught cold.

Micho, Morbido and their mom, my sister, I and our grandma met at the gat with Anarki and his Friend (after a year I discovered that he was a blogger too!). 24 Steps to Liberty and Bassam were there too. Zeyad came and said that Nabil was not coming, but knowing my guitar was there he joined us later.

After we all were there, except for the Kid, we found a park couch for Grandma and Morbido’s mom and placed our simple snacks. We couldn’t find good grass to sit on. So we sat on the sidewalk. Anarki started the concert by tuning the guitar. I can’t remember if it was him or Nabil who cut the first string but Nabil had the honor of cutting the second. I can’t remember well because it was funny and hilarious. Such a thing would usually drives me crazy but I didn’t mind it for the fun we had worth not only 2 guitar strings but the whole guitar.

We sang and laughed till it was dark. And that’s when we decided to visit the Royal Cars Exhibit. It wasn’t easy to find it. We had to go up the hill and it was getting darker and darker and we took a shortcut through the Chinese Garden, which by the way was Rocky place rather than a garden. We took some photos there, or should I say crazy photos. And then we arrived.

The gate was locked. We could see the mini cars through the glass but nobody was there. We waited for a while but it was obvious there was no one there. There was an antique airplane outside. We took some photos there too. The feet photo and some more. And after hitting the road we found a big sign with the phrase “The Museum us closed on Tuesday”! The guys took the chance for another round of photos. That was the final laugh for the evening.

That's all for now
And... Wait for more

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger C.H. said...

Attawie, perhaps we should label you as the queen of the Iraqi blogosphere, since you have gotten around to meet everyone :)

I have had the honor of meeting Iraqi Mojo so far, I hope that one day I will be able to meet even more of you, as I said in your last post.

Only then, you know what? It will probably be safe to hold a meeting of bloggers in Baghdad, and there will be no need to write the diary from Amman, right?

Go Iraq!

2/20/2009 12:23 AM  
Blogger David said...

I haven't been to a picnic in a long time. I wish there was one for me to attend! :)

So, you decided to have an American style picnic with delicious junk food snacks. ;) What kind of cake did you have? Cake is very important to me. :)

I know Anarki's friend who has given no life sign for a long time!

Attawie, you play guitar? Me too. I have a classical guitar. I can't remember, maybe we talked about guitar before? Anyway, thats cool. :) Sorry you got two broken strings. You must have all metal strings. They break fairly easy. My guitar uses nylon strings which almost never break.

I remember the feet photo and the everyone from behind photo. Someone made a peace sign in the photo. Someone said that was Micho. I also remember thinking your sister was Morbido. ;)

Its great that you all had such a good time. :)

2/20/2009 7:13 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

C.H.
I don't know if I can accept the title you're giving me :D there have been a lot of meetings and posts about them. Check the bloggers I met so far and you'll know better :)

David
the weather here is good for picnics and we've been picnicking almost every week for the last month, I guess.

I think we had swiss roles and amricana cake :/ but no one ate. we only passed the big Lays chips bags around :D

Yep these photos and we had crazier ones :D

2/25/2009 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home