Saturday, January 31, 2009

Another Stolen Memory


A photo of one of the high schools I went to

Checking news here and there, following different reporter to see how the story being told by someone else; I came across photos about Iraq. Viewing one photo after another and something caught my sight. "I know these words" I thought. I must have read it at least a thousand times. Very familiar in shape… and its meaning! It meaning was the high school I went to for three years. The school I used to hate. I considered it a black page in my history. But recalling my memory, for moments, a very short time, I look at things differently right now.

It said:

"Nidhal high school for girls"

"Founded on the year 1972"


That's the high school I hated. But what I hate now is the hideous pale colour of its paint. The silly posters hanged on the wall. The two silly signs saying: "Welcome Security Forces and Army" and "Carrying arms are forbidden inside election center".
The place seems dirty, stained walls and trash on the floor. I can't believe this is the same school I went to. The schoolmistress used to be a very firm lady. She used to reign with an iron fist and this is not an exaggeration. Mrs. Hinoof was one of the best principles in Baghdad. We never really liked her but she knew how to run the school. Throwing trash on the floor was never an option back then.


Schools are closed, no work and time is wasted. I heard the electricity is on 24/7 as a bribe for people to vote! It's all silly and a mockery play.

That's all for now

Let's wait and see.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger C.H. said...

Attawie,

That is very sad..but there is so much to be happy about. Iraqis voted today, and the brave soldiers of the Iraqi Army kept them safe during the entire day.

Iraq is a great success story, and the Iraqi people are turning the page on everything bad that has happened to them in the last 3 decades and moving forward. Today I am so proud to say I have friends who live in the great nation called Iraq :D

God bless Iraq!!

1/31/2009 9:28 PM  
Blogger Narjis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1/31/2009 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. In your previous post you missed twitter, which is the worst one. Check this video, i have a friend that is just like this guy: http://youtube.com/watch?v=NlZcHwsa6CU

2/01/2009 6:29 PM  
Blogger David said...

So, your old school was a an election center? Here in the U.S., sometimes schools are used as election centers also.

There has been a lot of news coverage here about the Iraqi election. I heard that many candidates are women. I think that is a good thing! I believe that women care more about helping others than men do. Iraq needs honest politicians who will work hard to make life better for its people. The news said that the elections went smoothly. I hope some good people have been elected!

Talking about electricity, there was a huge ice storm here last week covering several States (We had one foot of snow in Indianapolis! The ice was south of us.). More that one million people had no power at first. Maybe half that number are still without power. As I have said before, electric service infrastructure is a rather fragile thing. It is an easy thing to loose and a hard thing to restore. I hope that Iraqis can enjoy much better electric service soon!

2/01/2009 11:11 PM  
Blogger نوفل said...

Happy ied
احله شي بالانتخابات خلتني افوت المدرستي القديمة واتذكر سنوات المراهقة بالاعدادية واشوف المدرسين مالتي لانهم موظفين بالانتخابات ايضا
وبعدهم يذكروني

9/26/2009 11:02 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

عيد مبارك اخ نوفل
و اهلاً بك في مدونتي
سمعت عن المدرسه من زميله سابقه انه المدرسات بعدهم نفسهم و المديره و المعاونات كذلك.. لكن كانت صدمه ان شاوف صوره المدرسه صايره مكب نفايات مع انه ما كنت احبها

جميل ان نرجع للمدرسه و نلقتي بمدرسينا و نسولفلهم عن رحلتنا بعد التخرج.. رحلة النجاح.. اكيد لا امتحان ولا تسميع ولا احراج كدام الصبوره.. هيجي رجعه حلوه
سلام

9/26/2009 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home