Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A tip for Lazy lonely Selfish People

Well well well! I'm bloging again (thanks to the fake crowds out there for embarrassing me to post). It's been hectic lately; sleep-deprived, disorganized, lazy and... Well, not really sure what else.

After postponing the laboratory investigations whether the "5 minute Microwave Chocolate Mug cake" is a myth or a truth, I decided to reward the awaiting-bribed-crowds with chocolate cake. I thought it takes 5 minutes so why not give it a try! And a try it was, yes indeed.

But alas, I ended up with failure due to overexcitement and carelessness.
Here is the recipe so you can understand where I messed up.

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE!! (the recipe was emailed to me with photos but I'm posting my photos. You can google it to find it)

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract and your favourite tipple
1 large coffee mug


Add dry ingredients to your largest mug and mix well.

 

Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using), vanilla extract and a drop or two of your favourite tipple, then mix again.

 


Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!


I made sure that I followed every single step and set the microwave on 5 minutes and kept watching. It really went high over the top of the mug and here I got really excited and started to jump up and down as the smell was very promising! The excitement lasted for few seconds because the cake was starting to shrink! the smell was revealing that something is being burnt! So on the 4th minute I decided to stop the microwave. the smell was horrible and I ran in disappointment to my laptop to re-read the recipe only to find out that it should be cooked for 3 minutes only! OH.MY.GOD. then why it said 5 minutes chocolate mug cake!

 


Looking at it I thought it's not that bad :)
 



Not that bad at all!
 


Oh My God! wait a minute! that's where the burning smell was coming from!
 
Posted by Picasa


I spent the rest of the day and evening burning candles to get rid of the smell.

To tell you the truth, when I read the recipe I wasn't that interested. I thought this suits selfish lonely people who don't care to bake a whole cake and share with others. and this reason was the curse as I believe. If it works great for you, cut it into two halves and share it with someone else :)

If next time the recipe works better I'd share at least the photos with you

.............
Update:
A friend just sent me this healthier version of same recipe

That's all for no

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger زهرة الراوي said...

ياااااااااا طلعت محروكة من النص؟؟
هههههههههههههههههههه
بس ترة حتة المحروك طيب ..
عاشت إيدج، صدك حلو عالماشي الواحد يسويها :)
همزين جابولج حشود دتكتبين .. ترة آني واكفة وياهم هياتني شفتيني؟؟
;D

6/23/2009 11:13 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

اي دا اشوفج.. صارت الدنيا ليل .. ارجعي لبيتكم! و اذا انت و الحشود صرتو عُقال انزللكم صور الخط .. ماشي؟ رح انطيكم مُهلة

طبعاً كلش طيبة طلعت.. بس اكلت القسم الفوك.. والباقي عبالك براونيز

6/23/2009 11:16 PM  
Blogger Khalid from iraqiblogupdates.blogspot.com/ said...

Attawie,

It's not your fault, no doubt that the t­it­l­e con­fused you.

We are Iraqis, we share and care so I can't agree more with you as you mentioned "a whole cake and share with others." and I look forward for the next experiment.

Failure is a bridge to success in science, art,..... and also in cake making.

Thanks,

6/24/2009 12:15 AM  
Blogger moonlight said...

hhhhhh guess the title was a lie :).... I've never heard of cake in a mug and I wonder if it would taste as good as regular cake. Perhaps I'll try it one day.

6/24/2009 6:34 AM  
Blogger David said...

I have never heard of 5 minute Microwave Chocolate Mug cake. That is certainly a confusing title! I might have made the same mistake. I wonder, do they mean that from start to ready to eat is five minutes?

I think I will not try this recipe. I like to bake enough to share. :) But good luck Attawie if you try it again!

This story reminds me of something when I was 8 or 9 years old. My younger sister got an Easy Bake Oven as a present. It is like a miniature oven, with the size being about a one foot cube. Inside it has a light bulb that provides the heat for cooking. This tiny oven actually worked. My sister got tired of playing with it (she was probably too young), so I tried it a few times. The oven came with tiny cake mix boxes of different flavors. It also had little metal cake pans maybe 4 inches across by one inch deep. The little cake mix was a powder to which water was added. Then you just mix it up and put it in the little oven and turn on the light switch. The tiny cake baked in about 30 minutes. I ate some of the cakes and shared the rest. They were so small, there wasn't much to share. ;) I haven't seen those Easy Bake Ovens for sale for a very long time. They were probably a fire hazard, so the company stopped making them. Anyway, that was the story of my first cake baking experience. :)

6/24/2009 9:40 AM  
Blogger Michomeme said...

Wow..I thought, from the title, you were talking about bad people :)
but no, it is a nice idea, I can do it, I will do it when I will use my new microwave :) and I'll show you the pictures as well.. but I don't know when.

6/24/2009 12:20 PM  
Blogger Touta said...

hehehe, lazy lonely people are the best attawie!
:P

and that cake is not burnt. hehehe, its shwaya malchoo3a. :))

6/24/2009 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like me cooking anything.
Always miss some critcal step! Smile!

6/25/2009 6:07 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Khalid I,
Thanks for your words. Yes, in dded. We have a culture of sharing :) Not sure if I'll give it another try. I'll wait until I feel a doze of selfishness or laziness :D

Moonlight!
Not a lie at all :D it's a lesson not to be selfish or you'll end up with a burnt cake. I ate the first half and it tasted as regular cake as for the second one, it was crunchy and more like brownies.

David,
Yep, confusing title. I heard something last year, I think, about an oven or stove toy that was banned from stores because they caused some troubles and was not safe for kids! What nice story! My sister and I had coffee maker when we were such age. it had tinny drawers for milk, sugar and coffee. and you put water on top and there was a place for the pot. it was so cute and fun.
Micho,
are you going to try the mug cake before getting married? you can share the two of you later. You know it's very rich! Waiting for the pictures :)

Touta!
Then bake us a cake and post the photos :P and the "malchoo3a" word should be dedicated to Khalid Ibrahim, since he's collecting extraordinary iraqi words :D

@ Anonymous,
I don't know why I feel I know you! do I?

6/26/2009 11:48 AM  
Blogger moonlight said...

=D
hhh, not the title of your post that is definetly true. I was talking about the title of the cake recipe. When I read it I thought you were supposed to leave it in for 5 minutes too :).

6/27/2009 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home