Thursday, September 17, 2009

Restless Freedom

Watching this video over and over even after a couple of days, not knowing why exactly, shedding tears of mixed feelings, all I know is that people need to know about this all over the world.

It's the video of the press conference that was held after Muntadhar al Zaidi, the Iraqi journalist who threw a shoe at Bush, was released.

This part of his speech keeps occurring to my mind as if I've seen it with my own eyes.

"...a feeling of shame haunted me like an ugly name because I was powerless.And as soon as I finished my professional duties in reporting the daily tragedies of the Iraqis, and while I washed away the remains of the debris of the ruined Iraqi houses, or the traces of the blood of victims that stained my clothes, I would clench my teeth and make a pledge to our victims, a pledge of vengeance.The opportunity came, and I took it.I took it out of loyalty to every drop of innocent blood that has been shed through the occupation or because of it, every scream of a bereaved mother, every moan of an orphan, the sorrow of a rape victim, the teardrop of an orphan. I say to those who reproach me: Do you know how many broken homes that shoe that I threw had entered because of the occupation? How many times it had trodden over the blood of innocent victims? And how many times it had entered homes in which free Iraqi women and their sanctity had been violated? Maybe that shoe was the appropriate response when all values were violated. When I threw the shoe in the face of the criminal, Bush, I wanted to express my rejection of his lies, his occupation of my country, my rejection of his killing my people. My rejection of his plundering the wealth of my country, and destroying its infrastructure. And casting out its sons into a diaspora.After six years of humiliation, of indignity, of killing and violations of sanctity, and desecration of houses of worship, the killer comes, boasting, bragging about victory and democracy.

He came to say goodbye to his victims and wanted flowers in response. Put simply, that was my flower to the occupier..."

You can read The full speech of Muntader after he was released on Khalid's Blog.

I'm glad he decided to share and glad about his goals.
Can't find a better video or links. I'm sort of in hurry.

That's all for now
I wish we can find peace

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

The first time I saw Muntadhar al Zaidi throwing his shoes at Bush on the TV news, I felt a wave of intense joy wash over me. It felt like a sort of poetic justice. I knew instantly that al Zaidi would be hailed as a hero by Iraqi people. I'm glad that his stay in prison was not a very long one. After the incident, there was talk that Muntadhar might spend years in jail. I felt that would be very unjust. I'm glad he is free now and able to tell his story. I hope that he can now channel his passions into positive activities that will benefit Iraqi people.

9/18/2009 12:00 PM  
Blogger Khalid said...

Atta, about the fees of linking to my blog, i am sending the bill to your parents address, i hope thats alright.

9/19/2009 3:00 PM  
Blogger Sandybelle said...

Thank God he is fine, and healthy. may god bless him, and lead him for the best, always..

Happy Eid..

9/19/2009 3:29 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

David,
Yes, indeed. it felt like poetic justice!

KJ,
I already sent you the bill, I thought i was sort of marketing your blog :P

Sandybelle,
Ameen and Happy Eid to you too :)

9/19/2009 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home