Thursday, September 10, 2009

Words I Want to Share :)



My Dear Blog,

I am aware I've been away lately, unsure if it was the lack of motivation or being busy with life. It's not that you're not part of my life, on the contrary, at times I see you as the mirror that I look into to show me what I've done and reflects to me whether it's right or wrong. You even helped me evaluate myself, my thoughts and deeds. You've been the door to a whole new world to. Giving me the chance to express myself, introducing me to friends, opening my eyes to appreciate life from different points of views.

Knowing that I've been away for several reasons doesn't mean I don't care about you, neither does it mean I don't want to share with you. For that I'm sharing a secret I've been hiding for a while. I'm going to have a niece! (the secret I talked about earlier) :D

Yes, I know! It means I'm going to be a khala (an aunt). I'm going to be "cool auntie atta" :D

Unfortunately, I missed most of the shopping and preparations for the baby. One because my sister is living in Jordan, second is about me being busy or not there when my mother and Sana went for shopping. I did attend a couple of shopping trip (or was it three times?) and I got something for the baby. It's this tiny stand for bathing. I've never seen one before but the moment I saw it I thought "yay, we put it inside a tub or sink and put the baby on it" it looks like a tiny slide with Pooh and the gang (or was it Tigger? I sent it months ago).

What else did I miss to tell you lately?

Oh! me and another Iraqi female bloggers met at Zhra's for Fotoor (the meal for fast breaking) and then we had to hurry up and sit in a the car just like "Sardine fish in a can" as Zhra calls it. We were in a race with time to catch Isha Prayer (The last of the five daily prayers) followed by Tarawee7 (Ramadan night prayers). The Imam was Salah Bu Khatir, one of the best Quran Reciters I've ever heard(Click to listen)(Click for Translation). When I heard his voice of the first time, was about 18 months ago, I thought he was The best reciter ever.

It was my first time to pray in a masjid in UAE and it's the first time to pray Tarawee7 outside my home. The feeling of being one among those who pray in a group is amazing. How the people are scatered here and there and in one phrase said by the Imam they all stand in in straight lines with not a word to utter is such a feeling that cannot be described in words.


Click to listen :)

Today is the 19th day Ramadan, this night we're going to start the first day of the last ten days of Ramadan. They are considered the best days and they are yet to come. It is believe that the Night of Al-Qadr (The Night of Decree) is one of the last tend nights in Ramadan (Read the links for listening and translation).

oh, and yesterday 9/9/2009 at 9:09:09 was Dubai Metro opening!

A lot is going on in my life and on my mind and I needed to write this and clear my thoughts and hide in my den, at least until Eid. So my dear Blog, even though I'm away but I'll always come back with news and secrets I want to share.

*My calligraphy says: Mobarak Alaikum Ashahar (مبارك عليكم الشهر) May this month be full of blessings to you :)

That's all for now
Until I can share some more.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Khalid said...

:D
lovely :))

i like salah Bu khatir quite alot too! :D

looking forward to hear the news about you being khala atta :))

9/10/2009 6:25 PM  
Blogger marwa said...

i like reading ur blog...you write so good ...keep up the good work!

9/10/2009 9:27 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Nice post atta,
I think it's nice feeling to be an aunt , congrats !:)
BTW ur calligraphy is so good , go ahead dear :)

9/11/2009 1:06 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

KJ,

:)

marwa,
I'm glad you like my blog. You're welcomed to my blog. Thanks for the nice words :)

Dr Violet,
I'm still confused about being an aunt. I think because she's not born yet and I'm not in the same country with my sis. It seems the yet to come new granddaughter is stealing lights from everyone in the family and we're making fun of it and teasing mom about it and that she forgot her daughters and doesn't care for them anymore. Evil us! We're making scenes.

thanks :)

9/11/2009 2:20 AM  
Blogger David said...

Congratulations Attawie on your soon to become auntiehood! I have no doubt that you will be a very cool aunt. :D

I listened to the Surah Al-Ikhlas and read the translation. The singer has a good voice. Is the Quran always recited in song?

I also listened to the Surah Al-Qadr and read the translation. I liked the melody of the first better than this one.

Is the Dubai Metro a subway, or is it an above ground railway? I think public transportation is great! I wish we had more of it in America.

Your calligraphy appears full of images to me. I see a boat on the water, birds in the sky, a snake, a paper airplane, an eagle reaching for its prey, the head of a whale, a turtle, and a snail. ;) But, I know you meant its message to be a serious one. So, thanks for your good wishes. I wish good things for you too. :)

9/11/2009 11:53 AM  
Blogger زهرة الراوي said...

حلو خطابج بالبداية ..
بالفعل أحياناً أفكر البلوج شنو يمثل بحياة البلوجرز!

ألف مبروك لكم على الخبر الجميل وإن شاء الله تكوم أختج بالسلامة يا أحلة خالة :)

بالنسبة لي جان الفطور شي جميل جداً مع الجماعة، بس المشكلة هو تأخرنا على الصلاة :)

تبقة هم الصلاة رغم الحر بس كأننا في الحرم، وصوت بوخاطر جداً شبيه بصوت السديس ..
والأرض الحارة .. والأطفال اللي جانوا حوالينا (بما أنه صلينا بالخيمة مالت الأطفال) فهاية الأجواء هيه بالفعل أجواء الحرم واللي مع ذلك تكون الصلاة من أجمل ما يكون ..
أهم شي الروح والتواصل الرائع مع رب العالمين والوقوف بين يديه ..

"بس ما كلتي شي على الأكل خوما جان مو خوش؟" ;)


بسرعة دتمشي الأيام .. وهيان ما بقة شي على العشر الأواخر، أدعوا الله لنا ولكم بقبول الطاعات والصيام والقيام وتلاوة القرآن ..

اللهم أعنا على ذكرك وشكرك وحسن عبادتك

اليوم راح نبقة ورة التراويح ننتظر القيام في المسجد ..
بلكي نكدر نشوفج بالقيام :)

9/11/2009 7:19 PM  
Blogger Khalid said...

David :)

Quran is recited, not sang :) we tend to feel that the word singing is degrading and not appropriate to use with quran :)

and yes quran is usually recited in beautiful voices and ways, there are tenths of different schools for the tune and rules of reciting, at the end of the day its a matter of personal taste, each person prefers a certain recitation, you for example preferred one over the other :)

My personal favourite is this:

http://www.islamway.com/?iw_s=outdoor&iw_a=directlistenQuran&type=mp3&id=5500&name=مريم&type=mp3&number=1&M_id=147&C_id=19&moshaf=&mp3_number=1&mp3_size=4.89&rm_number=1&rm_size=3.24

This is a recitation of "the verse of Maryam" which is the Arabic name of Virgin Mary, peace be up on her.

One of the favorite verses for most Muslims, and also this is a reciter that is very popular now, specially among young people :)

9/11/2009 9:24 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hello Khalid, I hope you are enjoying Ramadan.

Well, the recitations still sound like singing to me, but if you prefer to not use that description I can respect your wishes.

Singing and religious belief are closely linked in a variety of religious traditions. I have seen that relationship in many cultures that I have learned something about. I tend to look at humanity through the eyes of an amateur anthropologist. I enjoy learning about other cultures. :)

Some of the most beautiful singing I ever heard was a boy choir from England singing Christmas songs. Their voices combined with the acoustics of the cathedral they were in produced a wonderful sound and experience. :)

I am listening to "the verse of Maryam" you provided. The reciter has a good voice that is pleasant to listen to.

When I was listening to the verses that Attawie provided, I was wondering if there were rules for the tune, but you seem to be saying that it is mostly up to the individual reciter. So, I wonder, during a recitation, does the reciter vary his tune based on the emotion he is feeling in the moment, or does he perform the recitation pretty much the same way each time?

9/11/2009 10:52 PM  
Blogger moonlight said...

The first paragraph...they describe my thoughts exactly :D!!!
mabroook ya 5ala to be on becoming a 5ala soon inshallah :) I hope you have lots of fun with your neice in the years to come.
Your calligraphy is stunning btw, I love it =)

Take care and may these last ten days of Ramadan be filled with blessings and joy for you Inshallah <3

9/13/2009 7:57 AM  
Blogger Morbid Smile said...

Hmmm... and I thought you were talking about a "newer" secret! Did you choose a name for the baby yet?

9/15/2009 2:16 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

David,
As Khalid explained to you, there are different schools of Quran reciting. But all schools follow almost the same set of basic rules regarding voicing, vibration, stops, lengthening, heaviness/ lightness, and the meeting of certain letters. As long as the reciter follows the rules of certain school he is free to choose the tune.

As for the tune it is mostly improvised by the reciter. Each reciter has his own unique tune that you can be recognized from within couple of second. Tune mostly depends on reciter's style.

And there are rules regarding scales and switching from one scale to another.

For the reciter Khalid provided - my favorite reciter too- he was asked in a TV program the same questions you're asking and he said it's mostly depends on the time of reciting, whether during Prayers or a Recitation gathering or recording. He said the meaning of the verse controls the tune and the way he improvise.


KJ, thanks for answering David's questions :)

Two of my cousins named their newly born daughters Maryam! And we already have another two Maryams in the family. can you believe it?

زهرة

اللهم آمين :)
شكراً .. الله يسلمج

Blogs become part of the bloggers' life. They tend to become a channel to voice thoughts and feelings. They are believed to satisfy the need of recognition of people, helping them to network and socialize.

Food was yummy and I liked all the dishes if I wasn't a bit shy I would have taken a photo to post here :D

Moonlight!
It seems that we're writing on behalf of each other lately! :D
Thank you dear o Allah ybarik beech.

Miss Morbido?
Look who's here? Is that you? Or is it someone who hacked your blog and started commenting here to tease me? OMG! Where have you been?

No names yet :|
You know me I make fun of names and twist letters and do all the horrible sort of kidding about the subject which seems not helping and not fun at all for pregnant women. I repeat again NOT FUN AT ALL (that note is for me dear, to remind me not to tease my sis)

And shush *whispering to Morbido* not sharing the "newer" secret yet. Now that you know it you want to tease my readers! Stay silent or go back to your hiding place :P

9/15/2009 9:34 AM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks for your explanation Attawie. It seems that Quran recitation is a real art form. That is something I did not know.

What? Morbido is here? I can hardly believe it! ;)

There is a new secret? I must refocus my powers of secret guessing! :D

9/15/2009 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home