Sunday, December 17, 2006

I do. I do. I do believe in Iraq

It was the second time I see the move Elf, about the end when Santa needs the Christmas Spirit to fly his reindeer sledge and everybody starts to sing:


"Santa Claus is Coming to Town

You'd better watch out, you'd better not cry;
You'd better not pout, I'm telling you why;
Santa Claus is coming to town.

He's checking his list, checking it twice;
Going to find out who's been naughty and nice.
Santa Claus is coming to town.

He knows who is sleeping, he knows who is awake.
He knows who has been bad or good;
So be good for goodness sake.

You'd better watch out, you'd better not cry;
You'd better not pout, I'm telling you why;
Santa Claus is coming to town. "


It was the same feeling I had when I first saw Peter pan, the new version, when Tinkerbelle needs people to believe in her so she can fly again. Then all the characters start saying "I do, I do, I do believe in fairies" it was then I needed to believe in Santa and in fairies too.

At my age, I know there's no such thing like Santa, or fairies, but in a moment I needed to believe anything said to me so I can come to believe that Iraq is coming back, and we Iraqis, inside and outside Iraq, would go back to live our ordinary lives again.

Life seemed to be much easier before "liberation". I know some people would say this is against the new Iraq's democracy but I believe we've all had enough of "the new Iraq". We've seen children slaughtered, women deflowered, men dragged from their homes to their unknown destination, when the next day they can be found in a plastic case cut into pieces or thrown on the piled up garbage round the corner. Enough massacres and killings, enough hearing about tragic endings of loved ones, we have had enough.

For so long, since the mandatory US forces put their feet in Iraq, I knew that it's not going to get any better. I, somehow, kept debating with friends I've known since forever, that the United States' troops are not here to free us and give us democracy. Apart from the real reason, and apart from what lies they gave us, which by the way we have had enough of that too, I still hope Iraq would be better than ever.

What is it all about a bunch of "guys" bombing a "Shiite" mosque? And what about the other bunch of "guys" who bombed a car in a "Sunni area"? And the many other reports on TV and the headlines in newspapers. What about all religious men found beheaded on the sidewalks? Nevertheless, a discussion among a group of Iraqi people would conclude "there's nothing such as "Shiite" or "Sunni". We are friends since forever and we live together like brothers. We share the same neighborhoods, same schools, and same jobs. Families are bound in intermarriages and friendships. Only ignorant people who can't understand the concept of fellowship are making a fuss about who is "Shiite" and who is "Sunni".

That is what educated Iraqi people would say, and by the way most of them, like university professors, scientists, doctors or any intellectual, you name it, they are either already murdered, kidnapped, or had to flee the country after they were threatened, or they are forced to stay home for their own safety.

Then who are the rest? Then who the hell are those strange people in the streets? Who are those black-clad militias? Those people we saw stealing robbing and looting Iraq?

With all the news and headlines hinting about those "Shiite" groups are avenging in "Sunni areas" or visa versa, and after the stories about killing any one named "Omar" or "Ali", yet those educated people stick to their answers and say these are lies. And when you ask them about the news, you would get the same simple answer.

What is this "same simple answer"?!
If you notice the techniques and the methods used by those "groups" you'll find they are the same whether they are announced to be committed by this group or that. Why do you think they are the same? Have you thought about it? It's simply because there's no two groups. There's only one big group of malicious people who hate Iraq and their unity so they pay to other people like them to commit their hateful crimes against Iraq.

It saddens me that there are still people who can't see this simple truth.

I know this post might shock some friends of mine remembering my words about "I never talk politics nor religion" but it's for Iraq's sake. It's for the only home I knew. The only people I love. It's for the homeland which we talk about in our songs and sob tears for. Not for the houses which are being demolished. Not for the buildings which are being destroyed now. Not for the trees that are already cut and replaced by barriers. It's for Iraq.

Because:

I do… I do... I do believe in Iraq

22 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I am not shocked by this post Attawie. The U.S. invasion of Iraq has done great and permanent harm to millions of Iraqi people. You are right in saying that many lies have been told by the Bush administration. You have every right to be angry! I want to believe in Iraq too! I want Iraqi people to choose to respect each other and live together in peace. I hope they can do this, but so much has happened, so many hearts have been broken by the violence. I really would like to say something to try and encourage you. I always try to be helpful and supportive to my friends. However, I have to be realistic. I am afraid that there will be a lot more pain and suffering in Iraq before things get better. This makes me very sad!

A few days ago, I received a very nice Merry Christmas card from a young Iraqi friend who calles herself Sunshine (here is a link to her blog). She is only 14 years old and I think she lives in Baghdad (she doesn't say, but I know that some of her relatives live there). She seems like such a beautiful person to me. She works very hard to do well in school, but she still finds time to try and help other people. She has posted about several young people who are in need of medical treatment not available in Iraq, and her readers have tried to find help for these kids. She raised money to help a school friend get a computer after her friend's father was killed. These are just a few examples of her kindness. There is so much suffering all around her and she still had the desire to wish her blog friends a Happy Christmas. After I got her e-card, I read her new post. It brought tears to my eyes! Her neighbor was shot in the leg right in front of her eyes and many students and teachers at her school have been touched by violence and personal tragedies, as well. I can feel her suffering through her words. I wish there was something I could do to help. Attawie, I hope you don't mind me sharing Sunshine's story, but I have been thinking a lot about her in the past few days and your post made me think about her again.

12/18/2006 12:21 AM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

Hi Attawie :)

There's only one big group of malicious people who hate Iraq and their unity so they pay to other people like them to commit their hateful crimes against Iraq.

Is that a more realistic claim than the people who say there's no difference between Shia and Sunni, that there are only Iraqis?

I don't think so. Even looking at Zeyad's blog from 2 years ago when the militias around Basra were first starting to cause problems, I can see the difference between the Shia militias (who they are, what they want) and the Sunni "insurgents" (who are just a bunch of thugs and criminals as far as I'm concerned, without any real "goals") - and I think you must be able to see the difference, too. Maybe you just don't want to believe it?

Well, for what's it's worth, I for one am very sorry about what has happened in Iraq. I don't have any suggestions, solutions, advice or happy talk to offer you. I can just say that I'm sorry about the way things have turned out.

12/18/2006 6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i do believe in Iraq I do I do I do
great Post sister
God Bless you

12/18/2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

ah. iraq. the great mystery.
my friend and sister, you speak the truth.
what can i say?
.. hmph.

Programmer Craig:
Sir, please, ANY paramilitary force, in essence, is just a bunch of thugs with guns..
now,
some have ideas that you (and i and everybody) can identify with, and understand (at least on paper), such as: (seperation/federalism/independance etc/oh, and also "cleaning" their areas of the "others")
those are the shia militias.

while some others have prioritized the "cleaning" as their no.1 goal, those animals being the sunni militias.

now i ask you, which is worse?
if i rob you then kill you?
or if i just kill you?

both cases you would be dead.

there is no "lesser of two evils" here.. that IS EXACTLY what freaking got us into this mess.
both should be purged.
if one wants to fight, then one should join the freaking army. otherwise one would get his a$$ SHOT OFF.

excuse me, honestly, i never intended to argue in the first place, but it was your point about the "difference" and how we can't see it now.

my friend, we HAVEN'T been seeing it for about 1400 years now.
at least in iraq we havent.

truly, in the "current" sense of events, this bloody turmoil between sunni/shia didnt start hundreds of years ago.
it started about 30 yrs ago with the fall of Shah of Iran, and the coming of the Ba'ath Party to power in Iraq.
in the sixties, who'da thunk bout sunni shia? in the fifties? forties? come on!
by the way, i dont blame anyone else, i blame US first and foremost, for being idiot sheeple.

ah.. long comment. maybe i should post something myself.

sorry Atta for spamming your comment section, and again, Programmer Craig, pardon my interjection..

take care Atta.. salam to S. and everyone.

12/19/2006 6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Attawie,

I agree totally with you. I am not an Iraqui but I am upset about what is going on. All of us( Arabs) believe in Iraq and since our childhood we learn in school about Iraq civilization. Iraq was a target to demolish the strongest part of Arab world.
I do believe in Iraq, I would love to see it back again.

pray for all the Iraqi people that are in and outside the country.

12/19/2006 1:14 PM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

Anarki,

and again, Programmer Craig, pardon my interjection..

It's OK, I don't disagree with your opinions. On a personal level, it doesn't matter in the slightest whether a murderous gang has an ideology or not.

12/20/2006 2:57 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

David,
You are most wolecome to share Sunshine's story, though I'm already one of her devoted readers.

Programmer craig,
I put my ideas in the post and I will not argue with you. It seems hopeless. But I believe my point of view is obvious and you can read Anarki's comment twice. I'll let Iraqi's and non-Iraqi's comment to argue.
for me the case is closed.

Anarki,
Dear friend don't ever say you are spamming here. I appriciate evey comment of yours.
See you next week in shaa Allah.

Sosa,
see you soon too.

anonymous,
You are welcomed here. I hope next time you would at least leave a nickname.

I do.. I do.. I do believe in Iraq.

12/21/2006 1:35 AM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks Attawie! I am a fairly new reader of Sunshine's blog. I guess that is why I haven't seen you there. I'm glad you are devoted to her. :) I have known some of her relatives for at least two years now: Hnk, Najma, Raghda, and Dalia. Dalia is about the same age as Sunshine and she is a wonderful artist! Unfortunately, she has stopped blogging. Well, I guess that the Iraqi blogosphere is a "small world after all"! :)

12/21/2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger David said...

P.S. Keep believing, and I will try to believe along with you!

12/21/2006 9:09 AM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

Hi attawie,

for me the case is closed.

I suppose you just included me in your reply out of politeness, attawie. That's not necessary. I have no interest in arguing with you or with anybody else about Iraq. Perhaps I shouldn't have commented. As for reading Anarki's comment again, that's all well and good, but he sounds like a different person from the one whose comments I read, a year ago. When I still cared. He's actually one of the people who encouraged me to STOP caring about Iraq.

12/21/2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

Long Live New Iraq

This is 24 steps to Liberty, condemning the British for breaking 2 of their soldiers out of prison. They'd been captured by Iraqi "police" while fighting shia militias near Basra. And then those "police" turned them over to Al Sadr.

He made that post on September 20th, 2005. Anarki was one of the loudest in condemning me when I said US troops and British troops had to land on the shia militias like the hammers of hell.

Now, he says the shia militias must be crushed, along with the sunni insurgents.

I was saying that a year and a half ago, Anarki. You convinced me I was wrong. I'm not saying anything, anymore, except that it's time to get US troops out of Iraq.

12/21/2006 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an occasional reader of various Blogs and your names have become familar to me but I hardly comment. I felt I wanted to comment this time after having read what was commented I felt I need to say that no outsider can fully understand the complexities and intricacies of the Iraq situation better than the Iraqis themselves, the Israelies and the Iranians. teh weaknesses of the iraqis are being manipulated by teh the later two groups and taken advantage of to do what they are doing now. I have to say whether you agree all of you or not that the new Iraq is only but a myth and does not exist at all. They are fooling you about teh new Iraq. Actually there is a black new image of Iraq which has never , throughout history , existed ever.
I am a humble believer that the day will come when Iraq will rise again once we get rid of the Persians who are nothing than parasites in Iraq.
an Iraqi woman

12/21/2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger Travel Ohio and beyond said...

There was not a simple solutiion to the trouble in Iraq when Saddam was in power, and there is not one now. I in America and I think all Americans hope a solution will be found. But, it is the Iraqis who must find it--when and if all the hate and anger that is causing so much blood shed finally subsides.

1/01/2007 7:47 AM  
Blogger olivebranch said...

you should write politics and religion more often :P
- Luke(y)

1/02/2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

Programmer Craig: Huhhh??
i dont see my name there, also i dont remember commenting on this matter..
i really dont have any clue, my memory is leaky but not THAT
leaky, please, honestly, what?

my friend, i was AGAINST any form of militia from the beginning.
when sunni militias were chased by U.S. troopers, i thought it ok, when shia militias were attacked, same..

i dont remember saying i was WITH the militias, LET ALONE MAHDI FREAKING ARMY!

sorry for being late to reply..
where did i reply to you? i cant see my name on that page and like i said, memory is leaking, so maybe i posted it elsewhere?
please i promise you i am serious i cannot remember!

i am a bit different from last year, yes, bit more serious, bit more..erm, self-reflecting, but noooooooo sir i never supported ANYONE who kills civilians. never.

if i do remember clearly, i smiled when i knew bout two brit soldiers captured wearing turbans in an undercover mission in BASRAH! of all places! in mosul, maybe, skin tone would permit such antics, but Basrah? it'd be like painting a horse pink and then talking a ride on it around town..that's about all i felt. i even thought, oh well, at least they're being honest about who's in charge.

so again, a double-take, and: Huhhh??

1/02/2007 9:58 AM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

erm, "i dont remember saying i was WITH the militias"

With = meaning, i sure as hell do NOT support, like, or even look upon them in a good light..
i hate the brain-washed idiots.

1/02/2007 10:03 AM  
Blogger Caesar of Pentra said...

I do believe in Iraq also! *hats Attawie off*

1/03/2007 11:48 PM  
Blogger ahmed said...

i don't believe in iraq. it will never be the same again and all of you guys know it, and don't say it was united cuz there's no such thing as true unity when u'r ruled by the sword - for the first time since whenever, Arabs have a chance to say what's on their mind, hee hee...take a look: it's just a bunch of bull so why don't we stop the pretence and hurl out the maps and let's get in for a serious game of Hakim vs Dhari in 'That Inch Of Goddamn Land is Mine.'

Prog Craig, stop caring - go back to your cats and dogs, and maybe have a sex change by the weekend if u'r bored...it's not your fault...America...it's ours...we're just so full of shit....as our great philsopher and thinker Muqatada al-Sadr would say on his finest day: no use habibi...

Sorry Attawie, but that's how I feel.

C ya round.
:)

1/04/2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger Captain USpace said...

I believe!

..
absurd thought -
God of the Universe sings
DING DONG THE BUTCHER'S DEAD...

if there is a BIG bad HELL
Saddam's registered by NOW



absurd thought -
God of the Universe wept
when Saddam was killed

he wanted him pissed on
being dragged through Baghdad
..

1/06/2007 8:43 AM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

Hey Anarki-13,

I just spent two hours going through the posts on Baghad Treasure and 24 Steps to Liberty from fall of 2005 and I can't find the comments I was thinking of. And, to be honest, reading all those comments and what people were saying back then is damned depressing, so I gave up. So, maybe my memory is faulty and I'm associating you with somebody else. I did find the first run in I had with Melantrys there. I didn't go back as far as the Steven Vincent murder which is when I started changing my thinking. Anyway, sorry I attributed statements to you that you may have never made.

Kid,

it's not your fault...America...it's ours...

It is our fault. But we can't fix it. Maybe we could have, 3 years ago, or 2 years ago, but not now. I sincerely hope that you (Iraqis) can.

1/06/2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

Programmer Craig:
Sir come on! no need for any apology really.. the situation in Iraq is horrible indeed, and i was ticked cuz i honestly thought i said something in favor of militias..sorry i took up so much of your time my friend and again, no need for any apologies or anything!
take care all..
Atta: new post? ;D pleeeeeeeeease?

1/06/2007 7:13 PM  
Blogger David said...

Attawie, I second the motion for a new post! :)

1/07/2007 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home