Sunday, November 09, 2008

Nobody is Too Old to Play with Balloons

One of the strangest thing happened to me yesterday whiling sitting for the exam. The huge classroom was decorated with ribbons and balloons. It seems there was sort of a celebration the night before. I made my way to my usual chair, first desk on the right. Since it was examination time, the setting of the classroom was different than usual. Huge spaces between desks and my chair was pushed to the front right corner of room.

Once I was settled and about to receive my exam book I noticed that the balloons where on the ground and left a silly place on the wall where they were placed. On the ground, there was remains of a green balloon which was poorly laying on the ground.

For a couple of moments I had a flashback of the little activity we had during the seminar with balloons. Laughing secretly, I also remembered the balloon that I saved that night and blew only recently on Friday and had fun with my sister and making jokes about how "Nobody is too old to play with balloons".

We, my parents, my sister and I, were sitting in the living room when I jumped to the room to bring the balloon. That evening on Friday it was proved with evidence that "Nobody is too old to play with balloons".

All those flashes came to me while waiting for the question sheet. But once I received the papers I wished I did not for I hoped I was able to capture a photo with my cell phone for the funny look of balloons next to my desk. The red one was really big but the green was medium.

Being myself, I concentrated on answer sheet and forgot the world outside the white sheet lined with blue and words flowing from my pen. After about 50 minutes of writing, my fingers were aching. I took the chance to relax my hand and have a look on the funny balloons but... OMG! they are not there! Pretended I was adjusting my seat, I tried to peek at the ground which made me feel I'm peeking in someone else's answer sheet. But the balloons were not there!

Anyway, had to go back on my exam, I went to my concentrating status. Then suddenly BANG!!! A balloon exploded! The sound was very loud. I took a look on the class and all eyes were looking at me! "I didn't do that"-look was on my face. Chaotic speaking and silly comments were on and the instructor kept saying "keep quiet"

That moment I thanked God that I was an Iraqi and I am used to bombing sounds. That balloon could have made me react differently.

I tried to know if the balloons that disappeared a while ago is the one which exploded but no use. I couldn't find the remains nor the other balloon. I was "thinking they were two, please God I don't want any other surprise". While taking my breath and trying to maintain normal heartbeats BANG! The sound was even closer. I tried to fine those balloon remains but all in vain!

All eyes were on me once again and the chaos was on for another while with the teacher saying "please, no talking. Keep quiet" A colleague who was sitting behind me said "I think that was the balloons in front of your desk" I was thinking"I KNOW" but where are they!

Two hours later I handed my answer sheet and looked at the area where the balloons were laying but nothing! My family where outside waiting for me in the car. The moment the car moved I remembered that I forgot the book and my notebook under the desk so I had to go back.

The examination room was almost empty. Only one student was left, another handing his paper and the teacher on the stage. I asked permission to take the books and took the chance to look closely on the ground and there was NOTHING!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

It sounds like there is a deep mystery surrounding the balloons that were on the floor near your feet! I have had fun popping balloons many times in the past, but I have never seen or heard one popping itself. I am wondering if your colleague sitting behind you is a practical joker. Is your colleague a man? If so, maybe he popped the balloons himself to try and startle you. Maybe he hoped you would jump up and scream.

Well, if there was no joker in the class, then this is a strange occurrence! Also, what ever happened to the popped balloons? They vanished!

I hope you did well on your exam. :)

11/10/2008 7:25 AM  
Blogger Narjis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11/11/2008 4:39 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

David,
The balloons mystery. A great title for a book :)

No it's not a practical joke at all. the room was full of balloons but we were hanging and the colleague sitting behind me is relatively an old man. This is Knowledge Management class and I'm taking it from Executive MBA curriculum. It's a class of more than 60 students and they are all part time students who take classes only on Saturday.

Narjis,

Welcome here :) You can laugh as much as you want :)

Balloon do pop by themselves. It's not strange at all :) it could be heat or whatever. the thing is they just disappeared before they pop and the sound came from the same spot where they were. two feet away from me. nobody stepped this corner than me. and after they exploded they there was just nothing left of it!

I still laugh at it.

oh and I like your niece :)

thanks. I'll go to the university this evening to check the results.

11/11/2008 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home