Friday, November 14, 2008

Winter Hallucination

"Yesterday experiment went great" I said after greeting my dad good morning.
"So, you agree on that?" he replied.
"It was useless to have the AC on during the night and we're all covered with blankets and quilts. I used only a sheet instead and even had to pull my quilt early morning. It's winter in UAE, after all". I assured him.
"Yes, no need for electricity these days" he replied.

I jumped correcting him "You mean AC! oh please dad, electricity is a bliss"

The conversation happened shortly after I read this:

"One of the regular questions people ask is (why) the most powerful nation on earth has been here for five years, but the lights can't stay on," said Brigadier Hamish McNinch, a senior British military engineer working on electricity in Iraq.


The question is: Why the greenzoon was able to be provided with power 24/7 since the invasion?

The U.S.-backed government of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki hopes to end regular power shortages by 2012 and triple effective power generation capacity from 5,500 megawatts today.


2012! sure! If the "U.S.-baked" (ironically that's how I read it) Iraqi government wishes to say that. Yeah, why not!

"If people reduce power consumption by switching off heaters and water-heaters this winter, they will have a steady supply," said Aziz Sultan, spokesman for the Electricity Ministry.


If people reduce power consumption by switching off heaters and water-heaters this winter, they will have a steady supply! Supply of what? Light?. I bet people prefer to have candle-lit romantic warm evening rather than shower in cold water during winter.

If people could live without switching on heaters and waterheaters this winter they won't be complaining of power issue at all from now until 2012. And thus al-Maliki can live happily ever after.

The point of having electricity is to be able to use all the luxurious advantages of the "technology"; having warm place to live during winter, having warm water to stay clean, let alone ironed shirts for the sake of universal acceptable appearance.

That's all for now.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I don't think that many Americans really know what is going on in Iraq, aside from soldiers and contractors who have served or worked there. Most of what I know comes from reading Iraqi blogs.

In general, civil infrastructure like electricity, clean water, and proper sewer systems are fairly delicate. Water and sewer rely on a constant supply of electricity, so electricity is really a key to everything in a modern city. An electrical supply system is especially delicate. It requires constant maintenance and repair, though generally not everywhere all at once. The power plants that produce the electricity can be very expensive to build. In the U.S., it is not uncommon to spend more than a billion dollars for a new power plant. The electric distribution lines are usually made from aluminum, which is more expensive than steel. The various levels of transformers which reduce the voltage in the distribution lines from very high down to what is proper for a house or business are also expensive parts of the system. In the U.S., the very complex network of our electric grid has been slowly expanding for many decades. If we suddenly had no electric grid, it would take years to replace it, but first, the factories that make all the parts would need to be supplied with electricity.

I think that many parts of Iraq are having to pretty much start from scratch. There was much infrastructure damage during the invasion. Then many things were looted including power lines. Now, Baghdad is walled off into little neighborhood enclaves each defended by its own groups. It must be especially difficult to work to restore electricity in Baghdad because the city is so literally divided up. It is hard for workers to rebuild anything when there is a constant threat from car bombs or bullets. I think that if Iraq could suddenly become peaceful, civil infrastructure could be quickly built up. I truly hope that will happen.

As to the comment by Mr. Sultan, the guy is an idiot! I like your candle light and warm water idea. :)

You know, I have an old book that discusses a way for people to build their own solar water heaters without spending much money. The heaters don't need electricity to run, just sunlight and water from a house's pipes. It even works in the winter as long as the sun is shining. I think that many Iraqi home owners could build their own solar water heaters if someone would just show them how.

11/16/2008 6:05 AM  
Blogger Touta said...

hahaha, what makes me laugh is the water. As if the government have arranged the water supplies yet. Its still a mess, and the water that we do have is not clear...
What annoys me to no bound is the electricity. Touta starts homework. Electricity suddenly switches off. Family put on generator. Touta too annoyed to restart her work.
:D

11/19/2008 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're doing pretty much good here. Keep blogging girl.

I liked the title " Hallucination "

See you soon and Salam to your family.

Regards,

11/27/2008 3:50 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

David,

it sounds great.. we should print and spread "how to build your own solar water heater" manual.

then we can run for election in Iraq.. I bet people would vote unanimously for this party.

Touta,
You remind me of my homework preparation when i was back in Baghadad.. I like lala and I used to do most of my homework on lala light... so romantic :D

Anonymous,

Thanks :)
I will but Salam from whom? :)

11/27/2008 4:22 PM  
Blogger Sandybelle said...

Hello miss,
how are you? I"m so glad to be in your blog, you have such a nice one ;) if you don't mind, im going to add it to my blog list.
Ok, I really love to ask about aunt micho, how is she? could you tell me , please? I miss her and don't know how to get in touch with her..
Thanks so much,
I'll visit your blog from time to time, in my leisure, ok ? I"m in the sixth class, secondary school, and as you know, i may be busy.. :)
Regards

12/05/2008 4:26 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Hi Sandybell :)

You're welcomed to check my blog anytime you like but please make sure to take care of your homework first :)

About Micho, she's been away for a while now, even her sister. All I know is that she's busy with her wedding preparation and furnishing and such stuff.

I sent her several times but she's not replying. I'm used to her disappearance every now and then. I hope she'll post soon and update us :) I'll update you if i got a personal message from her :)

Good luck with your study and stay safe.

12/07/2008 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home