Sunday, February 07, 2010

Out of the Qomqom*

I'm bored, dizzy and sick of being sick. Well dizzy because I've been playing this weird game called First-Person Tetris. Last time I wrote I spent the previous weeks sick in bed. Well, now I'm feeling better.

Little progress in my study as I can't find the right people to answer my questions. I need managers/ employees in UAE, who are willing to use, or already using Intranet Blogs in their organizations. Since I can't find people in such category, my advisor said it's going to be an exploratory study. But still I need managers who are willing to gather and attend a focused group discussion where we can talk and answer the questions of the study.

My MS-office word is giving me hard time. I'm not able to add the tables of index, references, figures, among many other things. So it's really boring and time consuming thing to do it manually. I still have to edit the literature review grammatically, and finish paraphrasing the previous studies section, let alone writing the last two chapters.

I've always loved my study, loved reading books and even better writing my own philosophy regarding what I read and what I'm really interested in i.e writing a thesis; BUT (yes a big but here) this is different.

My life seems upside-down. I have a lot in mind; projects and plans. Yet I feel my life is pending and I'm spending my days just waiting. it feels like gazing at a white wall with nothing in mind, but this wall is full of scratches and sketches of my thoughts, and they are getting messy and crowded.

***

oh, I almost forgot! Today was my father's birthday and as usual, Atta Crocker backed a chocolate cake. No photos this time. we ate it before I could take a picture.

Happy Birthday dad, even though I know you don't read my blog but I'm sure mom will tell you I wrote :)

* Qomqom: the bottle where the jinn are kept .. but in Arabic the word is uses for people who hide away for a while.
P.S. don't over play the game I gave in the link. it's really .. no healthy :|

That's all for now
I hope you can make sense out of this post

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Blogger said...

Why are you sick ?

2/09/2010 2:06 AM  
Blogger Blogger said...

I am not in UAE , however I worked there before, but maybe I could help with your assignment/project. I am a Network Architect/Technical Operations Manager for the biggest Telecom Company in Canada. Working a many huge projects, the biggest by far is the Olympic network for Winter Games 2010 in Vancouver which due to start in few days. Let me know what you need to know and I will answer you.

2/09/2010 2:31 AM  
Blogger nadia alkhafaji said...

How about getting a note book and writing everything down, simply list all the things you want to do and the time frame …. Get it all organized – out of your head and when the time is right you will get it all done one by one as soon as u are settled down! That way you can considerate on the NOW and leave the rest waiting in line!

2/09/2010 12:27 PM  
Blogger David said...

Glad you are feeling better Attawie. :)

I have played tetris before, but not like this! I am used to the falling object rotating not the whole screen. This tetris is wierd and made me dizzy! ;)

Good luck finding some managers to help you with your study. I remember trying to find you some information about your subject. Do you think that company intranet blogs will become more popular in the future?

I don't use MS-Word very often, but when I do, it just to create simple text documents. I have no idea how to add tables and other fancy things. I used to know how to do things like that with WordPerfect. I used it to write my thesis, but that was quite a while ago.

If your thesis is written in English, I would be happy to check the grammar in your lit. review.

Happy Birthday to your father! :) I am surprised you know of Betty Crocker. Do you have her cook book?

My favorite TV show when I was a kid was "I Dream of Jennie", so I am very familiar with Qomqom. ;)

2/10/2010 7:04 AM  
Blogger Touta said...

atta atta atta
*shakes head*

playing tetris instead of blogging?
whatever happened to priorities :P

get well soon, and take care!

2/10/2010 6:27 PM  
Blogger 寶貝 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2/11/2010 7:41 AM  
Blogger Ihsiin said...

Oh my word, this Tetris is magnificent. And Tchaikovsky!

...

Oh Lord, I feel sick now.

2/17/2010 8:52 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

@ Blogger no. 1
well it went like this: flu, cough, then fever. then went back to flu then got stuck with a cough for a long while.

@ Blogger no. 2
Thanks for offering help. I crossed that and right now I need people who work in UAE to verify my results. Thanks again and good luck with the whatever you do in the Olympics.

@ Nadia,
Thanks for the advise, I didn't write them down but now i'm a bit better organized about my art ideas and i have to work hard on my thesis :)

@ David,
So there's something wrong with the game and not just with me and my motion sickness :D

Remember the links you provided for that project. I made use of all the results you gave me. I think blogs are here to stay. The public ones at least. because customers wants their products to talk to them. that how you buy something. you feel there's a connection between you and what you intend to buy. and websites do not offer that. Blogs are more personal and real.

Intranet blogs on the other hand is a different story. a long one right now if i started to talk but will share with you soon inshaAllah.

As for Betty Crocker, we have some of the products available. I'm a big fan of Bisquick. and the name atta Crocker was given to me because i helped my sister's neighbor and baked a cake for her husband. (a funny story i might share later).

@ Touta,
Priorities, yep, I messed everything up. I'll have to work hard to set my priorities.

@ Ihsiin
This is Torture rather than Tetris, I guess.

2/18/2010 5:48 PM  
Anonymous Robin Woods said...

Breaks are really needed if you are working on something. And working on thesis writing can really need some breaks to clear the cluttered mind. And it would be a big help with thesis writing to have a clear mind so that you can think straight and right. Anyway, what happened after your Qomqom?

7/04/2013 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home