Thursday, February 08, 2007

Two Birthdays in a Row

Yesterday was my dad's birthday. We went out with friends, a young Iraqi couple, for dinner. It was an Indian restaurant. I'm not a fan of that cosine but I had no choice. As my mother, D, and I sat to order our meals, dad and M went to the buffet. The restaurant had this new policy for their buffet "Freedom to pay".

It was funny. We've never heard of that before. The other day I saw a fruit market with a big sign "Taste and Shop". Those people are going so far in the name of marketing. It's not bad as long as the consumer is getting benefits. But as an MBA student, now I know free gifts and discounts are already pre-decided when they price the goods or services.

Back to the subject. M said, a chubby guy: "Today Freedom to death". His wife said with a laugh "he always loses control when there is a buffet".
I had Murga! Yeah it sounds weird but in Arabic it means stew. Wait wait, this is not an Arabic restaurant. It's Indian. Obviously in Hindi it meant simply chicken. The chicken was well done. It melts in the mouth; neither spicy nor hot. Simply yummy.

You must be wondering about the other birthday. Today is my sister's birthday. She used to brag that all the Iraqis celebrate her birthday. February 8th was a national holiday in Iraq. It's the anniversary of the revolution. The day was called "Aroos al thawrat" (the bride of revolutions).
Since the war, only our family celebrated this day. Even though part of the family is in Jordan and the other part is in UAE.
............................................
*I'm studying for my terminal exams which is starting next week.
**I just wrote this post, haven't edit a thing so disregard any mistake if there was any
*** I'm enjoying 3DoorsDown... they are wow.

6 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Happy Birthday to your sister! It sounds like your father enjoyed his celebration yesterday, too. :)

I ate at an Indian restaurant several times. I liked some of the flavors, but I don't care for curry. One dish was Indian style tofu and vegetables. It was similar to Chinese, but with different spices. I liked it. :)

I used to love buffets! I would eat until I could barely move. I don't know why I did that. Maybe I was always very hungry! :) Well, I eat in moderation now. It is much healthier!

With your growing knowledge of business tactics, it will be very hard for any business to take advantage of you in the future! I think it is good to be a very knowledgable consumer. :)

2/08/2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

i like indian, not so much as chinese or japanese, but still, great!
mind you, there is INDIAN indian food, and there is OUR kind of indian food.
the difference is about 500 grams of spices per dish :D

buffets is a no-no for me for a totally other reason than David's, i'm inherently very concious/shy about what i eat, so i'd rather buy a fixed-size,fixed-price meal than an ALL YOU CAN EAT one, because i'll always end up under-fed :))

Happy Birthday all around, salam to all..and see you soon!

2/09/2007 6:38 AM  
Blogger Caesar of Pentra said...

Hey, Atta!
My birthday's on 18th of March, which synchronizes with an Iraqi historical battle during the 1st gulf war aganist Iran. This battle was called "Taj el Ma'rek" or "the Crown of the battles", which was considered one of the biggest victories of the Iraqi army. Anyway, I haven't celebrated my birthday since ages. Infact, I don't like to attend birthday parties! Sometimes, my family celebrate my birthday on 7th of march which is my brother's birthday.

Good luck!

-Caesar-

2/10/2007 5:12 PM  
Blogger Bassam Sebti said...

Hi Attawi!

Indian food is soooooooo spicy. I am allergic to spicy food! Once I had a spoon of some indian rice. Thank God, I didn't continue eating the whole thing, otherwise I might have ended up in a hospital!

Good luck with your studies.

2/11/2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

David,
Good you like food. Who doesn't? The thing is I like food and spicy food is one of my favorites but the thing I like home spices more than restaurant's spices. I like my mother's food and grandma's. They use a mix of spices; a pinch form her and another from there and it would be a delicious dish. My aunt also cooks with spices but she's a bit influenced by the Mexican spices. She lives in Texas and when she comes to visit she makes yummy tacos.

Anarki,
You are absolutely right about Indian Indian food and our kind of Indian food.
As if you're speaking my mind. I'm also the shy type who goes home after attending a big buffet. I remember many times when I was younger going to my mother late at night and tell her I'm hungry. She used to wonder why I was still hungry?? Shyness is the answer.

Mel,
I hope it's going well with you new blog.

Caesar,
I had a friend and 2 cousins who were borne 14th, 17th & 30th July. It was weird to celebrate after the war.
Oh and you know what? My birthday is the 7th of March too.

Treasure,
Good to know you're still have time to pass by. I hope you're doing well.
No otherwise please and stay away from Indian food.

Tack care all

one exam to go

2/12/2007 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't like the Indian food it is not healthy at all. I tried it once never will again.
Happy Birthday for ur sweet sis.

2/14/2007 5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home