Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Lost

After losing tangible and intangible belongings, after losing hope for going back homeland, after losing friends, homes, cars… after a family was scattered on earth, after we struggled so hard to get a residency in UAE, we lost my father's black handbag.

No, this time no key is lost nor a joke is being told. This time we lost our three Iraqi passports and all the paper related to our residency.

Since December 2006, we've been waiting for our residency papers to be processed. Some people were skeptical that they stopped issuing residency to Iraqis other said they would give you but it would take time. It has been crazy here about Iraqis just like it has been about Iraqis all over the world. More than three months and we were only asked to submit more and more papers. Each time we submit one they say it lacks a certain stamp. Each stamp took us days to get. After all is done and everything was fine, only the blood test was needed to finish the paper, the papers are lost.

As I was busy with the institute of art in the morning and busy with my MBA classes in the evening, I pampered myself a bit and asked my father if it was possible for me to have the blood test after midday so I won't waste any time.

While I was spending my time in a workshop for oil painting with an American artist from a Pakistani background, my father finished every single paper before the blood test and even finished his blood test and checked the time so I'll do the same the next day. He spent his way coming home flying because of happiness that at last we'll have a residency. He passed by the Mega Mart downstairs to get bread and the bag was in the small basket. He stopped to weigh up some vegetables and the bag was taken from the basket.

I don't know what to say, I don't know what to think. It's just too hard after waiting for happiness and after smelling it, few steps away from tasting it, when you have to face the truth that it does not exist, at least for Iraqis.

I'm aware the thief did not know this man with this bag was an Iraqi. I'm aware that when people cannot control their lives they would blame anyone or anything. I just feel or let me say believe that Iraqis are being mistreated everywhere. And whatever comes the "because we are Iraqis" is always the answer.

We've lost this same bag once before. It was one of those days when an explosion happened in Karada area in Baghdad. My father went there to buy chargeable fans for post war life. When he lost it, we lost about 400$ which was nothing compared to the IDs and other important papers which was there too. Thanks to a Shiite guy from Thawra district who found the bag and read the ID with dad's full name that implies that his ancestors goes back to Al Hussain bin Ali, profit Mohamed's grandson. The guy found it with all the IDs but no money was there. That day we were sure life was still worth living in Iraq and dad gave this man a reward.

Who would find the bag if it was thrown on the sideway? Here in a city of multinational people. Who would care to read the papers inside and pity those smiling faces in the Iraqi passports, and the residency papers which need only one stamp so we would receive the residency cards?

We've made a communiqué at the police station and all they had to say that they can provide us with the statement so we can start the formulation of getting new passports and from thence we can start the residency papers all over again. Or the thief might just throw the bag somewhere and they would be notified about it. Somewhere!! Like garbage?

So I guess all the stuff we see about police is just for movies and TV? Or what? No investigation? No nothing? What about the shop? It's such a huge hypermarket that has many branches in UAE. No cameras!?!
My father is walking and searching in the area since 1 pm. Every now and then he would go search in the streets, hoping that as the police said he would find it thrown here or there. I'm so worried about him and his heart. He just came back and he says "ya farha ma tamit" (Unaccomplished cheerfulness).

There's an Iraqi word, in Maslawi dialect "Stitch it here, it would rip there)
Please pray for us. Pray for all those who wait for mercy. Pray for all Iraqis. Pray for us.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Up date,
8 hourse later the papers and the three passports were in hour hands. how?
An Indian worker found some papers and three passports in a plastic bag, in Satwa district in Dubai, 2 hours away from our place. He took it to the site manger, an Egyptian engineer. The engineer called his wife, who was an Iraqi woment who left Baghdad 10 years ago. he asked her if she knew the names. She called all her Iraqi friends to check if anyone of them might know those names.
Later they took the electricity bill, which happened to be in the bag, and start their search to find us.

After 4 hours, they were knocking on our door.
The woman happend to be from the same city dad comes from, Hilla. and she carries the same last name.

So life still worths living I guess. and as much as there is evil and there exists goodness.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Attawie, I am so sorry to read this! I really hope that someone will find the bag and turn it in! This kind ot theft happens all the time in the U.S. There are so many people who have no respect for others. Once, years ago, someone stole my motorcycle! They evidently couldn't get it started and so they abandoned it a few hundred yards from my house. Still, it cost me a lot to fix all the damage they did to it. I was really mad! After that, I bought a really heavy lock for the wheel.

I understand how important all those papers are to your family, so I hope that the authorities will be kind and issue you new papers quickly!

3/14/2007 2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs you*

3/14/2007 2:39 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Thank you both David and Mel,

everything is ok. please read the up date I just added to this post.

I can say, add few songs and my life would be an Indian movie.
;)

3/14/2007 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why, that's good news indeed. :)

You have Site Meter? I don't see it? Hey, maybe switching from old to new blogger would have needed counter modifications as well that the Blogger ppl didn't think to automatically include?

3/14/2007 11:25 PM  
Blogger ahmed said...

aweeeleee...khara3teeeni...i was thinking of all the useless cheer up comments I would write but finally the story ended well..

ooooof...

life is worth living indeed.

3/15/2007 2:19 AM  
Blogger David said...

Wow Attawie, you really did have a happy ending, and so quickly too! :) It is a wonderful feeling to be helped by strangers! I have known that feeling a few times, and I try to help others to know it when I have the chance. My heart feels a little warmer right now. :)

3/15/2007 2:45 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Mel,
I'll have to start everything all over again. Anarki said he'll help but the the thing I'm not so interested in keeping the meter and the stuff. I liked the kid's new look but haven't decided what to add.
sure at least i'll have to add your new link.
God, what a lazy chick

Kid,
the bag was lost around 1pm,I wrote the post around 6, the people came after 8 and I updated the post the next day.

So, it was the hardest 8 hours to spend. I said I have to update as soon as possible.
Praying for us would work more than any cheering words.

but thanks anyways.

David,
it was a happy ending indeed. I hope someday we'll be able to help others.

3/15/2007 3:30 PM  
Blogger A. Damluji said...

Congrats!
i just saw this here :) this planet is still worth living on, i guess..
i know what a bureaucratic nightmare it is to lose important documents in Arab countries..
still:
لو خليت قلبت

there is an upside to all of this after all: i think your dad won't ever forget or misplace his handbag ever again :)

salam to all, take care Atta.
oh and the offer still stands: any template help you need, just tell me :)

3/15/2007 11:02 PM  
Blogger Michomeme said...

يمعودة شلون انقهرنا والله، يعني على اخر اللحظات ويضيع كلشي...شلون حياة صعبة ..بس الحمدلله والشكر الدنيا بعدها بخير..

سلامي للاهل

3/15/2007 11:58 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Anarki,

لو خليت لقلبت indeed.
Actually we hate that handbag. We're glad that the documents were found without the bag ;)
Few days ago I went for the medical test and dad was carrying my documents and I smiled and said: " dad, let me carry them for you", as you know I don't leave without my back bag.

I started a new site meter and new flag account but I didn't use them and the 14 days trial are gone and I just don't know why I'm being so lazy about it.
Will send you soon.


Micho,
الحمد لله كلشي مشه على خير و بس بقى ننتظر تجينه الاوراق بالبريد حتى نكمل معامله الكارتات.
سمعت ندى ماره يم خاله!! شلون الاخبار طير بسرعه
سلميلي عالاهل انت هم

3/18/2007 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh girl, it was like hell, I believe, losing this V. P. bag :( I ‘am about to cry but thank Allah you found it. Thanks Allah for everything.
Tell daddy to be careful next time he better change the black bag in to a colorful rosy painted bag :) I am sure no one want to steal this one :)

Take Care

Blesses

3/26/2007 2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh girl, it was like hell I believe losing this V. P. bag :( I ‘am about to cry but thank Allah you found it. Thanks Allah for everything.
Tell daddy to be careful next time he better change the black bag in to a colorful rosy painted bag :) I am sure no one want to steal this one :)

Take Care

Blesses

3/26/2007 2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home