Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Do they still call it Freedom

Fourth year of misery and mysteries; Where are we now and where are we going. For how many more coming years? For what? Hope had abandoned the land which once wrote the very first letter ever. Logic seems bizarre on the land where the wheel was invented. Beauty disappeared. Nothing has left but hideous streets, which once were cloud nine; today they are spotted with innocents' blood.

Four years of mysteries. What is going on and why? Who started it and for the interest of whom? Mysterious crimes are committed in the name of religion and in the name of God, in the name of homeland. As if this land is doomed for misery. We can go on and on counting the mischief and blame others, blame each others, and blame ourselves.

People are killed for who they were and who they are now. Yet some are killed just for being there on this puzzling land.

Cradle of civilizations, it was called once. Now it is a demolished land. Buildings are being bulldozed. Trees are burned on the sidewalk. Cats and dogs escaped the diseased land. Birds deserted the skies. They ran to save their lives. Human are being subjugated in the name of liberty and freedom, are being insulted on their own land.

We leave hoping to start a new life but still this land pulls us by the magic it once had. So I believe that magic still lingers on. It still pulls us by the memories we keep in our minds, by the dream of going back to our childish never land, the land that tries to be optimistic. It still pulls us by its palm trees, with its two rivers and the smell of the "masgoof" fish in the restaurants of Abu Nawas. It pulls us with a unexplained inspiration for art, the art that relate to the ancient warriors who built the strong walls around Babylon.

It pulls us back to our roots. The roots that never knew what rest means, with all the wars, the struggle, and the resistance to remain liberated from foreigners' authorities.

It pulls us back by its very sweet sound, it's the precious Iraq.

here's what I wrote last year.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Attawie, this post reads like a poem, an ode to Iraq. In the past few years I have learned a lot about Iraq's history. It has an ancient, wonderful, and tragic history. The wheel has turned and the pages of tragedy are once again being read. I have no doubt that Iraq will be peaceful and great again someday, but I am not very good at thinking about somedays. I see the here and now. I see men, women, and children crying for the loss of loved ones, and their sorrow brings tears to my eyes, as well!

You ask why, by whom, and for what reason. I ask these questions also! The worst faces of humanity have danced in Iraq's streets, dressed in their finest clothes, all hiding hearts of vile darkness. The faces of greed and corruption from far away lands have smiled and laughed. The new faces of tyranny and subjugation have frowned on the old, planted their seeds, irrigated their crops with the blood of innocents, and reaped vast harvests of misery. Yet some of the masks have fallen from the dancers. They stand naked, their dark hearts revealed. The music pauses for the page to turn. What lies on the next page is the future, what is written is unknown.

I still have some hope, but I also have fear that the worst for Iraq may yet be ahead. American troops will leave Iraq. I think that will begin to happen before Bush leaves office. The Republicans in the U.S. Congress and Senate can read the writing on the wall. They will fear for their jobs before the next election and they will run from Bush's side like scared rabbits. Its what will happen after the troops leave that really worries me. I hope the Iraqi people can talk meaningfully to each other. I hope that the neighboring countries will talk to each other and to the Iraqi people. Peace and security can only come through dialogue and compromise within Iraq and among its neighbors. I hope this will happen. It must happen!

3/20/2007 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing but sadness overwhelmes me in this day. You have put it down in words. I wish I could.

3/21/2007 2:13 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Thanks you David.
Your words sound like a meaningful post. I recomend you to post them on your blog.
It's true and touching.

Blogiraqi,
welcome to attawie and welcome to the blogsphere. It's so sad when you remember bad days and you were still full with hopes. now it's worse and no hopes are there.

3/25/2007 5:09 PM  
Blogger Morty said...

Such a wonderful post indeed...
I wish with all my heart that the situation in Iraq will be sloved and everything will be better soon and may God bless us all...

3/28/2007 12:56 PM  
Blogger David said...

Attawie, you are most welcome! I will think about your recommendation for my next post.

Actually, I did write something about the 4th year anniversary in addition to my comment to you. Baghdad Treasure asked me participate in his anniversary post. He asked some Iraqi and American bloggers to answer some questions about their thoughts before the war and after four years of occupation. If you haven't seen his post, please check it out if you have time. The exchange of thoughts was very educational for me. I was honored that he asked me to participate!

3/29/2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Kyubai,
welcome to my blog, I believe this is the first time I see you commenting here. Actually I'm one of your readers but I'm not an active commenter. I link to your blog from Anarki.

all I can say for now "Amen"

David, I read but I hope I can have time to write. Hopefully soon.

3/30/2007 2:11 PM  
Blogger David said...

Attawie, I followed your recommendation and included the comment as part of my new post. Thank you! :)

Morbido posted! Yea! :D

4/01/2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger jhondie said...

Please don't loose hope Attawie. We will leave before 2008 is over and hopefully all of Iraq's troubles leave with us.

4/03/2007 1:35 PM  
Blogger attawie said...

Jhondie,
I still have hope but it seems whenever the date of leaving approaches your government decide to stay more.
Even though people say that it won't work if you leave but I guess we wouldn't know unless you do.
The pain Iraqis are going through side by side with the pain your poeple in Iraq are going through will only leave sad memories as long as there will be scars to remind us.
Thanks for passing by and welcome to my blog.

@ Josh,
I checked the site, it seems interesting.

4/08/2007 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home